3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flashpaq is a 'fail'...options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:29 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashpaq is a 'fail'...options?

So I finally got around to try and install my flashpaq. I go through the whole process of downloading the latest software from the mfg, and when I go to install it, error E-43!...file not stock. I call tech support and they say that my computer is already 'chipped', and that if I want to use the flashpaq, I have to get my ecu reset to factory spec.

I called around and the best price to do so was $99. Not knowing whether it would be better with the flashpaq, or possibly the same dang program, I wasn't going to drop the extra coin. I packaged it up and sent it back.

Are all the programmers the same way? Have to start with stock?
Really pisses me off. But hey, I just pulled the trigger on the air gap. But I still want to make sure I have a good program too....

Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my PCM reflashed. The dealer charges $39-$79 depending what you want done. I got the update and the ABS warning reset and of course was charged the higher amount. Plus as a added bonus the reflash wasn't done correctly and my SC3865 won't load. My opinion is if you already sent the tuner back, don't mess with reflashing the PCM. If you still have the tuner and want to install it. Than have the update done. Good luck..

Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If your truck is already "chipped" then I assume you are not the original owner?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

I agree....however, I would like to have the peace of mind of knowing what my computer is set up for....for example, SC doesn't recommend towing with the 91 octane 'Performance' tune.
Or on the flip side, it's got a crappy tune on it that could be vastly improved on.

And no, I'm not the original owner...2nd owner. But there is no paperwork on the upgrade.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM
DODGE FREAK

They only way to put a new program in is by haveing the vehicle set to stock. Most gas programers are set up so that there the only one in your pcm. For example my buddy had the superchip and found out that with the 5.7 hemi its not even noticeable. He then went to the bully dog chip and immedialty noticed a difference. So in other words ditch the superchip and get the bullydog chip. Also get your vehicle set to stock. Its well worth it.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
horatio102
Champion

Heh, used vehicles are always funny like that. When I traded my 02 Jetta 1.8t in on my Dakota 5.9 4x4, it was APR reflashed and had a busted door lock cylinder hidden under the plastic handle. I completely forgot about it until a few hours later, but it wasn't my problem anymore. Whoever bought it got a fast Jetta, but if they took it in for dealer work and the dealer reflashed it for any reason, they would have gotten a turd back.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

I called around to see if I could get a better deal on a flash. Spoke with one dealer that after talking about my shifting says that he believes that there is a TSB out on our trans.
He said that he would do all the diagnostic work for free. So the truck goes in on the 10th to have the programming on the trans looked at.

I like the bullydog, but I don't see a listing for the 5.9L magnum. Only the hemi and the 4.7 and cummins.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional

So after having my truck for SIX HOURS today, the dealership tried feeding me full of such a line of crap I just laughed as I took my keys back and left.
Here was their explanation, and recommendations. Thank GOD I clarified before hand that they were NOT to do anything but analyze...

Ready? I dare you to not laugh....

1) My aftermarket intake manifold is the reason that my transmission is 'hunting between 3-4 gear.' This manifold was actually hurting my performance because it reduces my low end torque and also limits my rpm's.
The stock intake manifold was designed better.

2) I needed THEM to program a custom tune on my ECU because of the aftermarket intake manifold. My stock ECU program isn't appropriately tuned for the shorter runners. The aftermarket tuners wouldn't be able to adjust the parameters that would be needed, only their computer can do it.

3) The other reason my transmission was hunting is because the kickdown cable is too tight, so they adjusted it.

Ironically, the adjustment that they made to my cable seems to make it worse. But my truck won't be going back to that shop anytime soon....

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I would read the manual and make another adjustment on the trans cable.

Quick Reply: flashpaq is a 'fail'...options?