3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

why use a e-fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronOregon
I just put one in this last weekend and have seen absolutely no change. I would not do it again if I had the choice. Not worth worrying about it not working and overheating the rest of the life of the truck.........JMO!

Aaron
Only having it a week isnt giving it much time. On top of that, no one said it would be a huge or radical change in mileage or performance.

If you were into engines alot and understood parasitic drag and the affects of it on engines (especially race engines) then it would make more sense to you. Thats why they make electric fuel pumps now and are no longer on the front of the engine. Thats why most newer and high dollar engines have electric fans. Thats why race cars use electric water pumps. It is also why guys who street race will take off or cut thier belts so no accessories are running.

All of these contribute to less parasitic drag and give more power no matter how slight. But when in combination with other things it can all add up.

On a side note, ive got 12" of lift and heavy 24" rims and heavy 36" tires and I bet i can out run you.......

Simply because all mods when added together make a better performing truck.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Only having it a week isnt giving it much time. On top of that, no one said it would be a huge or radical change in mileage or performance.

If you were into engines alot and understood parasitic drag and the affects of it on engines (especially race engines) then it would make more sense to you. Thats why they make electric fuel pumps now and are no longer on the front of the engine. Thats why most newer and high dollar engines have electric fans. Thats why race cars use electric water pumps. It is also why guys who street race will take off or cut thier belts so no accessories are running.

All of these contribute to less parasitic drag and give more power no matter how slight. But when in combination with other things it can all add up.

On a side note, ive got 12" of lift and heavy 24" rims and heavy 36" tires and I bet i can out run you.......

Simply because all mods when added together make a better performing truck.

We see this a lot, don't we? So many of you guys buy a $100-300 mod and bolt it on and expect to see night/day results, 5 mpg gains or cutting a full second off your 1/4 mile times. Ain't gonna happen!!! There is a CUMULATIVE benefit to these mods. 10 HP here, 5 HP there and MANY mods work with other mods to give better results than either of them would alone. An e-fan is but one piece of the puzzle.

Is an e-fan right for you? Maybe not, but for the reasons I stated previously, I benefit from having one. I'm really not interested in making my close to 7000# pig any faster, but simply wanted to cool more efficiently in low rpm, crawling along at 10 mph off-road conditions. I'm also benefitted with a slight mpg increase and a slight HP & Torque boost but they are only side benefits to me...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-01-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

The ONLY mods I can think of off hand that made a noticeable difference were my gears, cam and Sonnax. Everything else was a combo deal.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
glass3222
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
The ONLY mods I can think of off hand that made a noticeable difference were my gears, cam and Sonnax. Everything else was a combo deal.
Or get a ProCharger

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

HA HA HA....good one. But I dont have one of those..........yet

Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An e-fan would have been nice while towing 14000+ pounds up a 10% grade to Rushmore at 25-35 mph. Both coolant and trans temps were getting a bit higher than I like them, and moving more air through the radiator would have helped out a bunch.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i think glass and weedahoe made very valuable points, glass for the equations(thanks to our electromechanical skills) and weed for laying it down straight as possible, both are right as can be....and hammer for backing it up and having great examples guys couldn't have said this stuff better myself....kudos...btw efan is a great mod....coupled with other things...

Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by horatio102
An e-fan would have been nice while towing 14000+ pounds up a 10% grade to Rushmore at 25-35 mph. Both coolant and trans temps were getting a bit higher than I like them, and moving more air through the radiator would have helped out a bunch.

It's these low speed/low rpm plus high workload situations where I think the e-fan shines. You just don't have the rpms up high enough to generate the airflow that is constant with an e-fan.

Now you gotta match the fan for the job though. I think some of these guys with "issues" after swapping to an e-fan are not choosing a fan with a high enough cfm for the job. Which is why I did NOT do the Taurus fan. Not enough cfm on low to make me comfortable and WAY too much amp draw on high for my liking. The Flex-a-Lite (while considerably more expensive) is adequate on the cfm (3300) while demanding a relatively low (18) amp draw...

Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did a e-fan on my rx7 and there was a difference but you guys have a point about having it on a truck so I think that will be my next setup but whats a good fan

Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

no issues with my taurus fan on low....

Quick Reply: why use a e-fan