3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

why use a e-fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
luckydt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running the Taurus 3.0L fan on low most run the 3.8L fan but i have had no problems with mine and i sit in crawling traffic for about 40 min every day each way in 95 degree weather.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
garider

The 40 amp draw statement was from another members thread. I believe they were using a Taurus fan and put an amp meter to the test. IMO many of the mods mentioned on the forums will benefit owners (or not) in different ways. In my case, I drive a 2-wheel drive truck and the e-fan may not be worth it since I don't crawl around or tow heavy loads. The Hemi in my truck has plenty of power already for my use and spending $500+ on parts such as programmers, CAI, e-fan, etc., may not be worth the cash or effort unless I just wanted to say "I have it" and I have 25 more HP (or however many it all adds up to). My truck is stock other than Cat-back duals. I'm 40 and don't care anything about racing around in town with the teeny-boppers, or smoking expensive 20" tires. I have a motocross bike for blowing off any steam or aggression I have bottled up!

With that said, if there was a mod, or mods combined that would render a 5+ miles per gallon increase at the NORMAL speeds we drive (not 55mph or less), I'd be all over it. Saying that "I get 18-20 mpg if I keep my speed around 55-60" is pretty useless information. Who in the world drives under 60 all the time? I'm new to the forum, but I have a lot of "Search" time under my belt already and there is TONS of conflicting information on modification subjects. One says he gained 3 mpg just from the e-fan, another says his mileage went down 2 mpg. I say take everything with a grain of salt and to each his own.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I can promise no one got LESS mileage from switching from the clutch fan to an electric one. It just is not physically possible.

But there are so many other variables like cross wind, air filters, tire pressure, how long it sits idle, speed, weight, maintenance and more. But e-fans are not going to net you less mileage. Might kill your battery but they have nothing to do with fuel consumption.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
AaronOregon
Rookie

Originally Posted by garider
The 40 amp draw statement was from another members thread. I believe they were using a Taurus fan and put an amp meter to the test. IMO many of the mods mentioned on the forums will benefit owners (or not) in different ways. In my case, I drive a 2-wheel drive truck and the e-fan may not be worth it since I don't crawl around or tow heavy loads. The Hemi in my truck has plenty of power already for my use and spending $500+ on parts such as programmers, CAI, e-fan, etc., may not be worth the cash or effort unless I just wanted to say "I have it" and I have 25 more HP (or however many it all adds up to). My truck is stock other than Cat-back duals. I'm 40 and don't care anything about racing around in town with the teeny-boppers, or smoking expensive 20" tires. I have a motocross bike for blowing off any steam or aggression I have bottled up!

With that said, if there was a mod, or mods combined that would render a 5+ miles per gallon increase at the NORMAL speeds we drive (not 55mph or less), I'd be all over it. Saying that "I get 18-20 mpg if I keep my speed around 55-60" is pretty useless information. Who in the world drives under 60 all the time? I'm new to the forum, but I have a lot of "Search" time under my belt already and there is TONS of conflicting information on modification subjects. One says he gained 3 mpg just from the e-fan, another says his mileage went down 2 mpg. I say take everything with a grain of salt and to each his own.
Well said!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but no one seems to have mentioned that if you convert to a 6.1 or car 5.7 intake you HAVE to go e-fan since you can't have a clutch fan and front TB at the same time.

Quick Reply: why use a e-fan