3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Wheel hub/bearing/abs speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 PM
nfisher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel hub/bearing/abs speed sensor

My driver side front wheel bearing was shot to **** and screaming loud. I called Dodge to see what they would ask for a replacement part, as well as the service. As always, I was wholly shocked and somewhat surprised that they were going to ask $240 for the hub/bearing assembly (with the ABS speed sensor), and an additional $400 for the labor for ONE wheel bearing replacement. As the procedure for replacing the hub/bearing is relatively easy (pretty much the hardest part was dealing with how well the bolts were torqued), I wanted to know what other Dodge dealers were asking. I called 4. All asked $240 for the part, and labor ranged from $300-500.

I came on here just to simply say: change your own wheel bearings. It is so easy. Do not let the dealer take you on this. It is amazing what they are able to charge.

In summary: get the wheel off, so 5 lugs come off. There's a really TOUGH axle nut that is torqued on there, so use a breaker bar to aid in this, and remove the axle nut. To get the caliper and rotor off, two caliper bolts come off. Hang your caliper with a bungee chord. To get the hub off, three hub bolts come off. Annnnnnd you're done. Install new hub/bearing and snap on the speed sensor if you chose 4-wheel ABS. It is NOT a $550-750 repair. Youtube search for "truck wheel bearing replacement", and there are many many many videos of dodges, chevys, fords, blah blah blah with a step by step guide.

Fck dealer maintenance. It does not mean you are getting better quality work. More often than not, it means you are getting screwed out of money that you shouldn't have to give them. Just because your neighborhood mechanic doesn't work solely on Dodges all day long (who knows, he might tho?!) doesn't mean he or she cannot do equivalent or better work than your dealer.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never trusted a dealer for any work unless it is factory recall (free) or absolutely has to be done there (like computer flash). Actually, I don't trust anyone to work on my truck unless I cannot do it because of lack of knowledge or lack of proper tools.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Congrats on saving yourself some dough and getting your fingers dirty... much better than letting the dealer stick it to ya.

Out of curiosity, did you torque the axle/hub nut down to proper specs? It is quite important to prevent premature failure (which being too tight or too loose will do). I'm not sure exactly what the torque setting is for your truck, but it should be somewhere around 175 ft. lbs.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 PM
nfisher
Default well...

I have a 150TQ wrench, so I wasn't able to torque to spec. So that's a problem. I figured 150tq would be okay. I'll have to call up a buddy and borrow his. Thankfully it's not too much trouble to get to the axle nut. Oh yeah, I got the part off ebay for ~$72. It was mopar part no. 68081028AA. Same part dealer was asking $240 for.

I actually have read quite a few posts about premature failure with that mopar bearing. So, this will have to be done... now.

And yeah you're right HLS. Unless I really can't do the work myself, I'm not taking it in to anyone.

Ultimately, i really REALLY regret buying the 3.7L V6. What a power sink. Lame. So ANY more $ on this truck in "labor" fees by someone else is money down the drain IMO.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

i might have to do the same thing with my truck.. abs, esp and track control light just came on.. scanned it came up with left front speed sensor erratic signal or somthing like that..

Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, a few basic tools and a molar replacement hub off ebay for 80 bucks and you have yourself a lot cheaper route than the dealer. The only reason i would think about letting the dealer touch my truck would be if it was in warranty

Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
That1guy
Veteran

I did both of mine before 80K.

About lost a wheel one day so I just did them both.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
zacelliott

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems relevant to my situation. My front end is making a noise that is like a light thump every time the wheel makes a revolution. It gets louder when I turn right, but disappears when I turn left. I think its either the bearing or the CV Shaft. What do you guys think?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

With you having a 4wd, I think you are on the right track with your suspicions.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Originally Posted by zacelliott
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems relevant to my situation. My front end is making a noise that is like a light thump every time the wheel makes a revolution. It gets louder when I turn right, but disappears when I turn left. I think its either the bearing or the CV Shaft. What do you guys think?
Mine thumped only on right turns and it was my wheel bearing on the drivers side. Jack up the truck and see if the wheel wiggles. When mine started thumping it was really bad at that point.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel hub/bearing/abs speed sensor