3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Problems '06 1500 ... please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM
crondeau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Problems '06 1500 ... please help

I installed 8000k HID headlights and fog lights on my 06 1500 Hemi. Very easy install, plug and play. I turn the keys on without starting the engine to look at the lights. Both the headlights and fogs come one. I then start the truck, the fog lights stay on then the headlights flash 4 times and shut off. Then I flick to high beams and the fogs shut off like normal but then the headlights come on.

SO my question to anyone who has seen this issue before is, whats going on with that. Why when I turn the engine on the headlights flash then turn off. and if that cant be fixed is it possible to have the high beams and fogs on at the same time using the factory switch?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Our trucks PCM and FCM read a resistance measurement through the headlight and tail light bulb filaments. When a filament blows the resistance drops and this lets the PCM/FCM know a bulb is out and two things happen here.

1) the modules reduce voltage and
2) the Lamp Out on the dash comes on to notify the driver

So because HIDs are gas filled and not a filament type bulb, when you plug them in the PCM/FCM module does not see "bulbs" and those two things stated above happen.

But because the voltage has been reduced, the HID kits will normally strobe or flicker.

The OEM filament type bulbs are 55w/65w bulbs. One the headlight harness plugs there are three wires. There is the low beam (12v), the high beam (12v) and the common (-).

So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.

Now, the trick for powering everything works this way for xenon type kits. Bi-xenons are wired differently but because most of these HID kits that use bi-xenons in DRs do not produce good lighting in OEM headlight housings, no one really uses high beams or bi-xenon kits. So i wont get into the wiring of those type kits.

You can buy those 50 watt load resistors off ebay for about $8 a pair

Old 09-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weedahoe does your ohm rating matter on something like this? I know it needs 50watts. I would not think so but i have no idea with these HIDs. Also I have telescopic High/Low bulbs. Is the wiring the same for a single beam bulb?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
crondeau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ill def. try that.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate769
weedahoe does your ohm rating matter on something like this? I know it needs 50watts. I would not think so but i have no idea with these HIDs. Also I have telescopic High/Low bulbs. Is the wiring the same for a single beam bulb?
These are the ones on my truck. So as you can see they are 10 ohm but the 6 ohm ones will work also.

The physical wiring of them is the same for a single beam.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thanks! I did not see an ohm rating anywhere and its kinda important!

Quick Reply: HID Problems '06 1500 ... please help