3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

VERY confused about HID kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correcting my statement...you need the 50W resistors either way sorry...I just read another post of Weedahoes on HID lights, and also figured out my issue. HID bulbs have no resistance (I have also metered them out) The computer requires a certain resistive value on that circuit or it shuts the power off. So no 55W bulbs will not fix that issue...if you were to go HIDs you need to wire in a resistor. So I would stick with the Halogens. Them with the projectors will do just what you need it to, plus theres no need for resistors. Sure you wont get a blue color or anything. But you can get halogens in a bright white, and with the projectors there is no bulb shield so you will get pretty good light.

Basically that shield just sits in front of the bulb like on the factory headlights. Projectors do not have them, hence why they are projectors. They will project the light better because there are no obstructions. Basically the provide an actual beam rather then scattered light.

I have not heard of anyone using HID lamps in a projector headlight. Basically because they would be WAY to bright because you are getting the full HID beam. Unless they are using some sort of automatic beam leveling or some sort of shield. (as weedahoe stated above)

As for the bulb size you would have to check with the manufacturer if its not stated...

Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
akinder09
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats sounds like a pain in the ***...so i wnt need any kind of connector for the halos cause they say plug and play rite? they wont flicker or anything?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as you stick with the Halogens, Yes no flickering.

As far as the halos working i'm not sure how they require you to wire it in. I bought a set for my old jetta and the lights themselves came with an adapter, but I still had to put 12V on a wire to make the halos work. It might be a case with these ones that they use one connector to the factory plug and pull 12V from there. But I have no idea. I suspect you would probably have to make a splice to a 12V source (I did my fog lights on my jetta) to make the halos work. But again I don't know

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM
akinder09
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah ill see when they get here and post pics when they are done

Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The halos are easy. They are only two wires which are (-) and (+). You can wire them to a switch or to the parking lights. Nothing special is needed for them to work.

Quick Reply: VERY confused about HID kits