3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird heater issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
ELVIS56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird heater issues

Hey everyone,
I have searched and searched several sites looking for a similar problem but most are only vaguely similar. Here is the issue. I have a 2006 w/5.7 engine, 68,000kms that on random occasions with the heater on only blows warm air out of certain vents. I read that if you get cold air on 1 side and warm air on the other it could be a clogged heater core. Well, for 2 days I couldnt get warm air out of the defrost(windshield)setting but warm air would blow through mid vents and on floor. I only checked this today after some research but with the truck warmed up I was getting only cool air on windshield vents(both sides), heat on mid vent only on drivers side, and heat on floor only on drivers side. Then I left the truck idle for 15 minutes while I was at the store and BEHOLD when i got back in there was heat blasting from everywhere. I know it is not a warm-up issue as I have driven the truck on the highway to work(30min at 110kph)with this problem, but the problem seems so random.I may not have this issue again for a week then poof there it is again. I did check my upper water hose and it wasnt very hot. havent checked the bottom yet. Im leaning towards the t-stat, clogged core or air in the system. Looking for advise on other possible causes and educated opinions. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

sounds like your blend doors may not be opening in your dash allowing the warm air out certain vents. I believe this is vaccum controlled in this year of truck. The gen 2's had the same problems if you go to the gen 2 site and search wild vents it may help you. Your heater core sounds fine as you are getting heat just not to the right vents.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ild-vents.html

here's the link. Where in alberta are you from?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:06 AM
ELVIS56

Thanks Dodgeboy, I am going to check out the vacumm lines first then go from there. Actually havent had the problem again until yesterday. I was fooling with the dash controls and I turned the fan completely off and listened to the doors moving and with the fan off something worked because then heat was flowing again. BTW I live in Central AB just north of Red Deer.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda funny to have heater discussions. It's 93 here today. Sounds like the blend door issue. The heater core has nothing to do with air direction.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 AM
ELVIS56

HAHAHA, I hear your pain, it must be rough with the sun blasting and the sweating and all in Florida. Not to mention the hot and sweaty girls on the many beaches. Believe me when I say that I would rather be there cause we had frost on the ground yesterday and the weather says chance of snow for next week. I really am partial to the coast though as I lived on the east coast all my life up until a short while ago. Just farther north. As for the blend doors, I left the adjuster on defrost while the heat was coming out and then 2 days later now the heater is blowing cool on the defroster setting without changing it on the dash. So the doors must be moving on their own. I am going to check on some of the vacumn lines today and hopefully that solves it. As long as I dont have to rip the whole dash out to fix this I'll be happy.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elvis,

Hate to tell ya, but no vacuum lines for the controls--that would be too easy, they're electric, they're small synchr motors mounted on the hvac housing. I have similar problems with my 2005 occasionally. It seems mine are just kinda sluggish to move but eventually do move. Its frustrating but hasn't pissed me off enough to yank the entire dash out to get to the hvac box

Good Luck

Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
MongoDV8
Professional

Originally Posted by ELVIS56
I did check my upper water hose and it wasnt very hot.
Thermostat bad. Do you have a temp gage on the dash ? If so what does it read ?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

Cool i head by Reddeer all the time my folks live in rocky Mountain House so its basically on the way from Lloyd. Ya we had a few flakes of snow here today hopefully you got the heater fixed lol.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
ELVIS56

No snow here yet but you can tell it wants to. I think the problem with the hose was that the truck wasnt right up to temp but warm enough to blow heat as it was coming out of some vents. I was hoping it was vacumm but I went to the dealer to get a new PCV valve ($55. + tax, no thanks) and the parts guy said that there are electronic actuators buried up in the dash and the gears may be bad as I am having this problem intermittently. Theres a good dodge mechanic that all my friends go to here and swear by him so I will also check with him on this. BTW I will check my temp next run out.

Quick Reply: Weird heater issues