3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Atwiss
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing coolant

ok so i got a tune up a week ago and they filled the coolant and today i was looking and it needs filled because its empty. what to do

Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You filled the coolant as in the radiator or the coolant bottle?

What engine do you have? Ever run hot? Over heated badly? Any puddles under the truck? Sweet smell out the exhaust?

Need more info.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
MaineRam2500

I had the same problem... waterpump. It's a common issue with Rams. I live in maine and thankfully it happened in the winter. I noticed after I parked my truck over night there would be a few drops of coolant in the fresh snow. I caught it before it turned into a waterpump failure. You may want to get under the truck and inspect the waterpump. Good Luck

Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Veibz
Professional
Default Losing coolant

I wholesale distribute radiators and other heat exchange parts on vehicles...Typically in the past I have found that if you are losing coolant and don't have a leak...chances are you may have a head gasket problem. Not a cheap fix.....essentially the coolant is burning in the engine. Do you have white smoke looking stuff coming from your exhaust? Good luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Atwiss
Professional

it leaks out but i havent inspected thoroughly i was in a rush and it hasnt over heated

Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 AM
kcr6419

3 or 4 years ago, my 2002 4.7 was losing coolant. I found out it was getting into the oil. There were no external coolant leaks.

It was a very slow leak. I'd lose a quart or so every 6 months. I do all the work on my cars so I nornally would have pulled the engine apart, locate and fix the problem. I didn't this time because It was middle of winter and my mustand and firebird projects were occupying the garage.

It was about 10 F out when I took it for a drive. The engine temp quickly spiked and the CEL came on. Luckily, the water expanded enough to finally get to the water pump after only a minute of climbing near the red.

I stop at my destination, add more coolant and start her back up. Next thing you know, my engine is making ticking and popping sounds from the top side. limp home and start searching the internet. Keep in mind this is 3-4 years ago. After a hour of searching I find one post somewhere from a guy who had the same problem (4.7 overheated for a few minutes then started ticking and popping). He pulled the valve cover and some rocker arms had fallen off.

It's 15 F out at this point. I pull apart everything so I can get to the valve covers and sure enough, 2 exhaust rocker arms had fallen off.

I did some searching today and I find hundreds of posts on this issue!

So, long story short, fix the leak or risk overheating and fallen rocker arms.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to sure what coolant leakage and rocker arms falling off have to do with one another but it is true about 4.7 valve trains having some slack and losing a rocker arm or two.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Veibz
Professional

If it is the Radiator let me know and I can pull one from stock and hook you up on it. No biggie. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM
MOusafLRT03

makes me wonder about mine. i had to put 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of AF after putting 6k miles on the 5.9. when i had my 4.7 QC, i had to put coolant in more often and somehow, the overflow tank would spit coolant whenever i i went thru some hilly sections. i guess revving the **** out of that lil v8 was flowing coolant faster than it should....? don't know for sure...

Quick Reply: losing coolant