3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

was my truck in a flood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
dearidiot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question was my truck in a flood?

I just bought a 06 ram 1500, and when i look at it with a fine tooth comb, i think its been in water... its kinda hard to see, which is why i didnt notice at the dealership, but i've replaced a few things (taken out dash, door panels, peeled up carpet to run wires) and i've noticed alot of suspicious activity....

first, in one of the heater vents, there appears to be ALOT of dust.. like its been dunked in a big mud puddle, the water dried, and left dust behind, buit its only in 1 heater vent which is weird..

2nd, that plug input under the dash (where they take emissions) has corrosion on it and looks like it got a little wet...

3rd, when i lifted the floor panels (the ones that run along the edge of the carpet) the little gaps where the clips go looks to have a bunch of gooey stuff in it.. like someone spilled a pop or something..

I've looked under the hood very closely and it looks brand new, i checked the fuse box and there is no corrosion.. underneath the truck, the exhaust pipes are pretty red and rusty looking, but i see that all the time... carfax has no report on it being in an accident.. but in the right light, you can see the passenger side door is a different color and NOT stock, also the passenger fender has signs of re-painting on it (overspray).

I was wondering why i got it for such a killer deal (bluebook $18k and i got it out the door for $11.8k). Everything works perfectly, all electronics are fantastic, the only issue is the brakes are wobbly when i come to a stop, like it has a bent rotor (?).

I dont know much about how to check for signs, I normally just tinker with interior, and from what i see, there are no stains or rust inside..

can anyone help me determine if its been flooded or not?

where are common places i should look for more definitive answers to it?

thank you very much

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
dearidiot

also this is just a dumb forum question.. is there a way to be emailed when someone replies to my post? I noticed that the posts can get lost quickly and i want to keep track of it

Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
outcast
Professional

the past owners kids probably took daddys truck out muddin and got it stuck and just payed out of there own pocket to fix it

Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is if they cleaned it up that good I wouldn't worry about it. But you could look inside the doors to see if it has mud in it or not. If it has been in a flood there will be mud left behind somewhere.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, pull the door panels off again and look inside the doors for signs of water/mud. The other option is to pull the carpet up. Remove the seats and check for rust.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 AM
That1guy
Veteran

Originally Posted by dearidiot
also this is just a dumb forum question.. is there a way to be emailed when someone replies to my post? I noticed that the posts can get lost quickly and i want to keep track of it
Just click on the (my recent topics) tab up on the nav bar and click with in the last week and it will everything you posted in.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As said before, I would not worry about water damage as long as everything is ok. My seat bases have surface rust on them and I live in the south where we dont get ice and have to do salt or sand. I dont live my the ocean where it is humid and no water has ever been inside my truck but yet I have surface rust in a few areas.

So you may just be looking TOO hard.

As for email notifications, go to your Control Panel, click on Edit Options. Then under the box that reads "Default Thread Subscription Mode" you can open the drop down box and change it to the setting you like

Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM
RailroadMan
Rookie

Check this site, it will tell you if the car was in the Katrina flood: https://www.nicb.org//

Article: http://www.kirotv.com/money/9193294/detail.html

Quick Reply: was my truck in a flood?