3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

virginians. HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM
mexico
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default virginians. HELP ME!

hey guys. so my ram has those painted black nerf bars... both of them are rusted out and the other day a girl getting in the truck snapped it into trying to get in the truck... it was really rusty i guess. well since I go to Liberty University and live in the dorms I have no access to tools cuz I left them all in Michigan. a friend tried to take it off diplomatically with a socket wrench but them bolts are pretty rusty. so can anyone in the Lynchburg, VA area loan me something to remove the bolts? any kind of grinder, extractor or something will work. I can give cash for collateral... but i dont have much otherwise I'd go and buy tools. or if anyone knows what I could rent to take off the bolts... I cant go anywhere cuz the halves of the step are dragging on the ground... any help appreciated

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in VA, but not close enough to lynchburg to offer you any tools. I'd see if you can't get the socket back w/ some pb blaster and a piece of pipe on the handle of the socket to give you more leverage. If that doesn't work a hack saw to cut through the bolts would be relatively cheap, if you have room to cut them. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
mexico
Rookie

ya a hack will be my last resort... im not looking to spend any money since I'm broke and havent found a job yet (20 credit hours makes it hard to find any time to get a job)

Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
FlexJohnson
Rookie

if you drive the truck to auto zone or some place like that, they will let you sometimes borrow the tools out in the parking lot..

Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I agree with the autozone thing. They may even have an electric impact wrench you can use in the parking lot.

On a side note, she must've been a healthy American to break that thing unless it was completely rusted through.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this is likely pissin in the wind but you need to start planning better preventive maintenance. I understand you guys salt and sand your roads but if your nerf bar or bracket rusted so bad it broke......imagine how bad everything else is under there and what could be next.

IMO, you need to either get an under coating on your truck or start cleaning the underside regularly.

Imagine if that girl stepped on that nerf and it when it broke it cut her or she fell and broke her leg or ankle?

Im not trying to be a downer but IMO, you need to start taking better care of the underside of your rig man.

Good luck on finding the right tools and getting everything back in order. They make special sockets to break loose stripped bolt heads if that is your issue. Buy some PB Blaster to help and those bolts are likely body mount bolts so they will need to go back in. Just make sure you replace them with new bolts.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Matt99
Champion

The only Virgin on here is Shiloh and I dont see him around too much!

j/k but I feel your pain, im almost out and ready to not be broke anymore! there is someone with some tools at your school, i know my brother has a toolset in the back of his 4runner so just ask around and you will find someone....if you can figure out what size bolt it is, go to a pawn shop and but a socket driver and socket for like $3

Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Good point about pawn shops. Some of my first tools were from pawn shops and I remember buying craftsman sockets for 0.50 cent each.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
mexico
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I know this is likely pissin in the wind but you need to start planning better preventive maintenance. I understand you guys salt and sand your roads but if your nerf bar or bracket rusted so bad it broke......imagine how bad everything else is under there and what could be next.

IMO, you need to either get an under coating on your truck or start cleaning the underside regularly.

Imagine if that girl stepped on that nerf and it when it broke it cut her or she fell and broke her leg or ankle?

Im not trying to be a downer but IMO, you need to start taking better care of the underside of your rig man.

Good luck on finding the right tools and getting everything back in order. They make special sockets to break loose stripped bolt heads if that is your issue. Buy some PB Blaster to help and those bolts are likely body mount bolts so they will need to go back in. Just make sure you replace them with new bolts.
first off i just bought the truck in february so taking care of it before me must not have been great.. the rest of the truck just has surface rust if any.. the frame is rock solid. its just these cheap painted p.o.s. bully dog steps

Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Thats cool. Take care of it the best you can because every other bolt and nut under there is likely seized (brake calipers, hubs, ect.)