3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes...warped

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 AM
blackram1500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes...warped

Well i found out that the problem i was having is that my rotors are warped. the rotor i bought 8 months ago are now crap and went to the store where i bought them and they said they would exchange them this time. But the brand i bought is ( Raybestos) and was told they are a good brand. But was also told that these trucks do have this problem and have been seeing alot of this now.
So got them and then i went to the dealer here to see if there is a fix for this and they said not really but try not braking so much and pump your brakes more when i am flying and to try and shift down to cut my rpms.

But i was wondering is there any other brakes out there that are better or do i mod...and install bigger rotors and calipers?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my rotors from ebay, seller is brakemotive, they are drilled and slotted so they get rid of the heat faster. i've had them 6 months and there are still great. also i drive like a nascar driver so they different get hot no warping yet and they are a great price

Name:  IMG00091-20100420-1115.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  IMG00092-20100420-1116.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  48.3 KB

oem are garbage

Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 AM
areinike
Veteran

My 2003 had a brake caliper recall that affected the rotors but since then, I'm sure they would have HAD to resolve it before 2005. Yes, I do agree, tho, the OEM rotors are garbage. I bought a set of Autozone rotors several years back and only up until a few months ago, they worked really well. I guess when I did the pad change and didn't resurface was mostly the downfall there. I bought PowerSlot ... PowerStop? Crap, now I don't remember, anyway, slotted rotors and Hawk pads as what was recommended by a lot of Dodge Ram owners. I don't have but 300 miles on them but so far, the truck feels way better stopping wise. Doesn't feel like the brakes are loosing effect the longer I hold down the brakes like they did with OEM style rotors. Yeah, expensive tho, but hopefully very worth it. With Hawk pads all around and the two front slotted rotors was around $300 from autoanything. I bought OEM style rotors for the rears from Pep Boys for about $35 each. Flushed the brake fluid all around and it stops very nice now. Better than new.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 AM
areinike
Veteran

Power Stop. Was going to go Power Slot but was already over budget. They seem to work really well. I think the Power Slots were quite a bit more (like $30 per rotor). We'll see. I'll go Power Slot of these don't work out. I'd go cross drilled if I were racing but just toting around town, sometimes towing.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I've installed 2 sets of BrakeMotive rotors/pads already. No issue's yet.
If your truck still pulsates, then your back rotors will need to be replaced.
Any aftermarket blank rotor is much more prone to warping if you are heavy on the brakes for a while and go through a puddle or hit up the car wash because they retain the heat much longer.
If your going down a long hill, it's best to slow down past the intended speed and then release for a few seconds and let the car pick up speed and then slow down again. This gives your rotors brief cooling sessions rather than glazing up your pads from excessive heat. I have never had any issue's with warping, only grooving from brake pads overtime with any vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:16 PM
blackram1500
Veteran
Red face Rotors

So if I get the other kind of rotors then they shoud be ok. This really pisses me off cause I am going to be towing a trailer and that means there will be more preasure on them.
Would it be better to get a bigger rotor and calipers for the truck?
The guy at the auto part store said they are coming back all over the place but there has been no recall....but he said the power of the trucks are not matched with the brakes...

Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Did you break the new rotor in? I had to break in my new brakemotive rotors and pads. It said if it didnt they would cause the rotor to warp from thermal shock. maybe this is just for new pads and rotors though

Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM
blackram1500
Veteran
Default rotors

The rotor are about 10 months old and this happened about 2 months ago and have been used for 8 months with no problem at all. Then coming down highway/freeway and started to break and the front end was a wobble and when i get to the light it feels like it surges. thats when 2 months back i posted on here and was told it may be the rotors, but I left it and has really gotten bad so then i went to a break shop and they told me thats what it was and then went back to the auto store where i bought them.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
blackram1500
Veteran

Does anyone know what size rotors i can go with that are bigger?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Bigger rotors would mean bigger brakes. So those will not fit. Some guys do have issues with warping rotors. Just get them turned or replaced IMO.