3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie and Need Help With Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comp 273.. . Anything to take care of the low-mid end?

Last edited by SLT8; 10-04-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 AM
HemiSilva

Well im not sure yet i might get a higher stall converter

Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Question.....why are you capping the first letter of each word?

Secondly, ive literally got over 1k in just my exhaust and that was cheap. There is no way at this point I would take it down just to put up different headers later on.

Either get wait and get what you want now or get Pacesetter LTs and be done with it.

Turbocharger? Comp Cams 273? Forged pistons? Who are you going to get to do your tuning and build you engine? Just curious because you are talking a lot of money.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Sounds like a interesting project. I agree with weed that even if you do your own labor, it's going to cost $$$$. If you want to do it right then do it right the first time. Get the pacesetters now and move on to the next mod or wait until you can get the Dynatech.

I run the 273 NA but it's a awesome boost cam if you can shift at 6800rpm.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
HemiSilva

A lot of questions ok weed ur first idk why i cap all my first letters LOL It's A Habit That I Used To Do when i was younger I DO It Randomly Sometimes lol ok well second question i can't put the exhaust i want now kuz that wuld really mess up my truck and i use mine as a dialy driver so for now I KAnt Keep It In A Shop And Like I SAid Before I Don't make much money. im want to get the headers for now kuz i want the most outa my cam while i get my other stuff im a little impatient lol i know it's a lot of money but thats how i am ok next questions there's a shop in odessa called west texas perfomance they're gona install my cam and everything else im goin to install apart from my suspension which ima go to a shop in houston and get it done there after i'm done with suspension my truck is gona stay in my garage and ima work on it i might get a 300zx to drive me around while i finish the final stages on my truck and then there is this guy in lubbock that tunes really good ima go up there and tune it he's also gona tune my truck after i get my cam wow ive never typed so much in my life lol jk i hope this answers most of your questions

Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ok. maybe Im missing something here but LTs, custom exhaust work, turbocharger, custom cam plus install cost (Odessa), suspension work plus install cost (Houston), tuner and custom tunes plus "I dont make much money" just does not add up to me.

Sounds like to me you are either dreaming very long term or holding back on us a little bit.....

Im assuming at some point if you are going through all of that then you are talking different gears and smaller/lighter tires also.

IMO, I think you are talking 10-12k (or more) total

Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I would reccomend driving your truck as-is and not worry about headers. Stick a muffler on there for sound if that;s what your after. Certainly headers aren't going to make a huge difference in performance like some guys would expect. You won't bolt on LT's and start beating mustangs. Aint gona happen. Keep your money and put it towards paying your truck off. This is coming from a guy who has put a ton of money into his vehicles. I've been rather limited on this truck and I will continue to remain that way. You can literally dump thousands into a vehicle and never fully be happy, meanwhle, bills and rent are piling up. Save your money if your in school.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

^^^ UH HUH!!

Just as Dirty, dropped lots of money in various rides. Sure they were fun but if I were to do it all over again (even with my current truck) I would do it differently. I love my truck but but if I could do it differently right now, it would be a CTD.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I would reccomend driving your truck as-is and not worry about headers. Stick a muffler on there for sound if that;s what your after. Certainly headers aren't going to make a huge difference in performance like some guys would expect. You won't bolt on LT's and start beating mustangs. Aint gona happen. Keep your money and put it towards paying your truck off. This is coming from a guy who has put a ton of money into his vehicles. I've been rather limited on this truck and I will continue to remain that way. You can literally dump thousands into a vehicle and never fully be happy, meanwhle, bills and rent are piling up. Save your money if your in school.
+1

I recommend you follow weed and dirtydog on this one.

If you are really going to put that much into a truck, buy a freeking diesel, already turbocharged, put an airbag suspension on it, tune it, and then go have fun. I'd go with at least a 3/4 to 1 ton tho...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I love my truck but but if I could do it differently right now, it would be a CTD.
Originally Posted by 9511234

If you are really going to put that much into a truck, buy a freeking diesel, already turbocharged, put an airbag suspension on it, tune it, and then go have fun. I'd go with at least a 3/4 to 1 ton tho...
You hit post faster than me -- great minds think a like --

HemiSilva, I think this alone should speak volumes. Do what you want, it is your truck and not mine, this is America... but when you get down to it and we're talking this kind of money, a turbocharged Cummins is where you will get the most bang for your buck... and honestly, if I don't get smighted I would go Chevy or Ford just because the powertrain is better at getting the power to the ground and not eating itself up in the process.

Quick Reply: Newbie and Need Help With Headers