3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who has REMOVED overload spring? How to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Smokedlights
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has REMOVED overload spring? How to?

Hello, just ordered the mcgaughys 2'' rear shackle. Been reading everything possible, from what i hear it still will not level it out. To achieve this it looks like i need to remove the overload spring? I have never worked on trucks or leaf springs (am use to coilovers etc for cars) Is there detailed instructions? I have searched 2 forums without really any insight? I would like to know how to remove it and put it back together etc.. Also read in some places people thought you may need shorter bolts or something? Has anyone actually done this and can you confirm? Thanks!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokedlights
Hello, just ordered the mcgaughys 2'' rear shackle. Been reading everything possible, from what i hear it still will not level it out. To achieve this it looks like i need to remove the overload spring? I have never worked on trucks or leaf springs (am use to coilovers etc for cars) Is there detailed instructions? I have searched 2 forums without really any insight? I would like to know how to remove it and put it back together etc.. Also read in some places people thought you may need shorter bolts or something? Has anyone actually done this and can you confirm? Thanks!
Welcome, another 03! There is a Forgotten Club for 03's you might look at and/or join that has information in general about our unique model. As for your question, check this long thread for lots of information about lowering. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-and-info.html
Lots of folks have removed the O/L spring, it is a mod that can be done in the driveway with simple hand tools. I've run my truck for years without them. Maybe someone who has done it recently will pitch in with information. But it goes something like this, jack the rear up and put jack stands under the frame. Remove the rear wheels. I used a floor jack under the axle just to hold the axle wieght and disconnected the shock bottoms. I did one side at a time. Remove the U bolts. I clamped the spring pack using a C clamp, Remove the spring's center bolt. Un-clamp the spring, remove the O/L spring and replace the center bolt. This bolt may not have enough thread to fully tighten with the thickness of the O/L removed. There is a "spring pin" used to align the spring pack, I smacked it flush with the spring and ground off the exccess which is the thickness of the removed O/L spring. Put it back together in reverse order and the truck will set lower by the thickness of the spring you removed. It appeared on my truck that the O/L springs had never egaged the other springs, meaning I never needed them to begin with. Good luck...

Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 PM
JonnyBlaze420
Professional

Wait, I have an 03. Why is it "forgotten."

Sorry for the thread jack.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by JonnyBlaze420
Wait, I have an 03. Why is it "forgotten."

Sorry for the thread jack.
Forgotten by the the aftermarket folks. The 03 was the first year for the Hemi and the PCM was transitional (NGC) and is not supported by most of the aftermaket products that are available for the newer models..

Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Smokedlights
Rookie

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Forgotten by the the aftermarket folks. The 03 was the first year for the Hemi and the PCM was transitional (NGC) and is not supported by most of the aftermaket products that are available for the newer models..
how convenient lol, and i hear 03s have a lot of wiring problems too? I only have 35k miles and my rear tranny seal is leaking. Getting a dodge was a toss up to begin with, good thing i got it like 7k below book if i decide i dont like it lol

I dont know much about the spring talk or grounding stuff off, im use to compressing a coil spring taking off a strut mount and swapping springs, or just swapping the entire assembly. I have barely looked at leaf springs let alone taken one apart, so something has to be ground off in order for it to be "tight" again?

i dont get this "There is a "spring pin" used to align the spring pack, I smacked it flush with the spring and ground off the exccess which is the thickness of the removed O/L spring."

what is the spring pin and what did you ground it off with?

Last edited by Smokedlights; 10-02-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:15 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by Smokedlights
i dont get this "There is a "spring pin" used to align the spring pack, I smacked it flush with the spring and ground off the exccess which is the thickness of the removed O/L spring."

what is the spring pin and what did you ground it off with?
I mispoked, it is actually a roll pin not a spring pin. It is maybe 3/16" in diameter and is located about 2" in front of the center bolt hole. It's purpose I believe is to help keep the springs aligned and to insure the springs are assembled facing the right direction. With the O/L removed the roll pin is now too long to be sandwiched between the spring and axle perch. Like I said smack it flush with the spring (using a hammer) and use a hand grinder to grind off the excess (thickness of O/L spring). Or leave it out and not worry about it. Good luck....

Last edited by RedTruck-VA; 10-02-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

I did mine 4-5 months ago. I have some pics i can post up later. The biggest issue are the pins which hold the axle center with the springs. I had to get get new ones from a local spring shop.

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Or leave it out and not worry about it. Good luck....
Don't do this unless you want to roll your axle and wreck your truck.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

1. you cant roll your axle and wreck your truck by leaving it out i havent had mine for over a year....i took mine out replaced it with a bolt that was in the pack to begin with, the bolt holds them together and the bolt head sits in a groove on the spring perch, then you have a plate with four bolts that hold your axle to the leaf pack make sure they are tight and youll be fine... heres my write up about shackles and removing leaf....only remove your overload thats it......

directions to change drop shackles....
with your truck elevated on jack stands, place hydraulic jack under the rear axle and raise it until the weight is removed from the leaf spring. loosen and remove shackle bolts, and remove the stock shackle. install your new lowering shackle, tighten bolts, donot over tighten(this will cause squeaks and binding) remove the jack and jack stands your. ready to go!!!these are from djm

and while you have the leafs loose just undo all the axle bolts(4) and drop the axle down(or lift truck up) and disassemble leaf pack, one bolt. and then remove the bottom spring it has a pin in it also, i used a flat bar and pried it off. reassemble the leafs with the bolt and put axle back together with 4 u-bolts and tighten everything down then attach drop shackles to truck and remove all jacks and stands....drive it hit some speed bump to let the rear settle, after a few days cheack all bolts and nuts to be sure they are tight....

Old 10-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Smokedlights
Rookie

Ok i plan on getting into this in the next day or two, What is the general consensus i need new hardware? Or i dont need anything? I dont want to be stuck in the maving to run and get a new biddle and bolt or whatever else i may need

Old 10-03-2010, 01:56 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

all you need is the right tools, one being a torx bit size t45 if i remember correct to remove your stock shackles, 2 jacks or a jack and 2 stands, a good socket set and a few wrenches just incase you need them, id get some penetrating oil or pb blaster to help loosen the nuts spray tonight tomorrow morning and just before you do it to make sure they come off easy....

Quick Reply: Who has REMOVED overload spring? How to?