3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear-end noise, axle gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:14 AM
stickshiftsrule
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rear-end noise, axle gone bad

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

ORIGINAL: DonG

[IMG]local://upfiles/12354/BFA1750745EB4A50852D49BF808FDFE4.jpg[/IMG]
Those aren't the "c" clips, but I'm curious what they are. I can't see that being part of the LSD either though.
Those are the clips I was asking about a while back!!My open or LS post
I really felt that I was NOT taken very seriously about it at the time.
Boy, how things change...........[sm=escape.gif][sm=imsmilin.gif]

BTW- Props to you DonG, 1st pics of those I've seen.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-21-2005, 04:09 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you felt you weren't taken seriously. We all thought you were talking about the "c" clips and not these little spacers or whatever they are from the LSD's.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 PM
rambob
Rookie

Hi everyone. I've heard a thump or bump, seems like when I'm backig out of a parking space. I kind of thought it might be the float in the gas tank? My rear end doesn't whine or pop or anything, and I don't hear the noise every time I back out. About that 15k mile rear end service, isn't that for the severe duty or towing schedule? No. I just looked and it says schedule "B" which is stop and go driving, dusty conditions, you know, the kind of driving we all do.
What a crock of sh_t. I'll change it myself. I aint payin them bastards to do it. It shouldn't need to be done till at least 30K. But what are you going to do. They could void your warranty.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: rambob

But what are you going to do. They could void your warranty.
Tell them you're on schedule A and that they can kiss your A$$.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:23 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

I had an identical problem with my 03 Ram 1500. Lots of clunking and shudder. I didnt waste time with the "boneheads". The second time visiting the dealership, I asked for the service manager to take a ride. He did and it so happened he had almost the identical truck and trouble as I did.

So, how did they fix it ? They told me that the factory oil needed to be replaced with synthetic oil.
After that visit, no further problems.

Now ... the question is ... is that really what they did ...

Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Danob
Default Me too....I think.

Hey guys. My name is Dan. I own an '02 1500 4wd, 5.9L auto trans.

Ok I googled "How to find my gear ratio" and got onto this thread. I have read the whole thing and have decided my rear end issues are very similar to the ones explained here. Clunking from rev. to drive and visa versa., shudder when accelerating low speed. I am also getting a low pitch whine at low speed when turning as well as an increasingly worse shake when braking. Climbed under it tonight when I got home from work to look for i.d. stamps on the axle housing. The pumpkin was as hot as my exaust pipe. Know that ain't a good thing....

Im going to just replace the whole thing and cannot find my gear ratio anywhere. No stamps on the housing anywhere, no tags. All I can tell is I have a 12 bolt cover. What I am curious about is how the $%&# can I tell my ratio without an advanced degree in calculus? Sorry LOL had to get it out. I will find it eventually.

Curious if any of you had the other two issues I mentioned about the brakeing and the whining.

Thanks for your time and info.

Dan

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look in your glovebox to see if the sticker is still there, or see if the metal tag is still hanging off of the one of the bolts on the diff cover. Last resort is to look all the way at the passenger axle tube behind the brakes and see if the oem part number is still there. Or you can jack your truck in the air and count how many times your driveshaft rotates every one revolution of your tire.

Quick Reply: rear-end noise, axle gone bad