3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which is better, new or used rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which is better, new or used rear end?

I can get a used complete rear end assembly for $600. Or a remanufactured one from the dealer (with out the axles and breake stuff) for $2100 bucks.

The used rear end will not have any kind of warrenty as is.

The other one has a 100,000 mile three year warrenty. (have to turn in my old axle or pay an extra $800 for the core charge)

my money low but dont wont to be throwing it away on junk! Wont to see what everyone thinks i should do? Is there something i can do to used one to make it last. Example change out the oil, clean it up and out, change bearings thing like that.

All possitive input welcome. Or if you know of a nother option let me know!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I will move this to the 3rd gen section for you, get you your input.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If it were me I would do the used for 600 and throw in an Auburn LSD for another 400+. Change the gears in it if you want while you are having the carrier changed. Thats another 200 or so for gears.

That would be a better rear end with more traction and longevity. Then sell the stock diff and gear set to recoup some of your cost and help someone else who may be looking to change some of their parts out

Look HERE for some gears and HERE for some differentials

When i replaced mine I did an Auburn diff, Motive 456 gears and a Motive master install/rebuild kit.

Last edited by weedahoe; 10-13-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Junkyard and have it rebuilt the way you want

Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

But then again, no need to buy one from the j-yard when you can do the same with the one on your truck now.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all, why are you looking to buy a whole new rearend? Did something happen to yours?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur
Default Getting pissed off all over again!!

Originally Posted by dirtydog
first of all, why are you looking to buy a whole new rearend? Did something happen to yours?
yes two years ago this nov. I was on a trip to texas and the pionin broke off into the gears and locked up the hole rearend.

Got it fixed out in texas at guys shop and on my way home it started to make sounds and this was about 3 hours into an 10 hour trip home. Had to drive 30mph all the way from texas-louisianna line to mississippi.

Got a guy i know (good with cars) to check it out and the man in texas charged me 950 to put a new ring and pinion in and he did not use new clips and my rearend slipped and got loose and wore the gears and now it makes noise when i get up to speed. Has me scared now and dont trust taking it to fare and it tare up again.

It also pops when i turn slow. I know its somthing with the limited slip part of the rearend. It stops for a while when i change the read oil then a month or so it starts again.

A couple of people have told me that i may have hurt the housing with the gears and stuff slipping and moving.

What do you guys think i should do? Other than take a trip to texas and kick that dudes azz!!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur

Originally Posted by weedahoe
if it were me i would do the used for 600 and throw in an auburn lsd for another 400+. Change the gears in it if you want while you are having the carrier changed. Thats another 200 or so for gears.

That would be a better rear end with more traction and longevity. Then sell the stock diff and gear set to recoup some of your cost and help someone else who may be looking to change some of their parts out

look here for some gears and here for some differentials

when i replaced mine i did an auburn diff, motive 456 gears and a motive master install/rebuild kit.
i am in no way shape or form a grease monkey but i'm an engineer so i'm not totaly dumb.

I got a question about if i do change my rearend gears to 456's then wont that make me run high rpm's on the highway running about 70 and 3500 rpms. Seeing that my trans will still be a 3.92 gear ratio.

Would be alsome out the hole but will have to stop at every gas station after each launch.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Mine popped when leaving from idle and when turning. Thought it was my swarbar bushings but it was my u-joint. Lost my driveshaft shortly after but the rearend is still good and intact. This is with 4.88 gears and stock lsd.

I would do weed's suggestion and maybe look into a custom or new driveshaft assembly.

Last edited by SLT8; 10-14-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

It wont be close to 3500rpm. Maybe 2200-2400 pending on tire size.

Originally Posted by BUMBLE_BEE
i am in no way shape or form a grease monkey but i'm an engineer so i'm not totaly dumb.

I got a question about if i do change my rearend gears to 456's then wont that make me run high rpm's on the highway running about 70 and 3500 rpms. Seeing that my trans will still be a 3.92 gear ratio.

Would be alsome out the hole but will have to stop at every gas station after each launch.

Last edited by SLT8; 10-14-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Which is better, new or used rear end?