3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel bearing assembly stuck on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dakota that was a bear to get the bearings out of as well. I had the knuckle off though so I just used my 12 ton shop press and they pressed out like nothing.

Try the BFH and wailing away on the back of it, but if it is 4x4 you aren't going to be able to get in there with the halfshaft in the way, so you'll either have to remove the halfshaft or remove the knuckle, but I think to get the halfshaft out you have to undo the upper ball joint and tie rod, so at that point you are only the lower ball joint away from getting the knuckle off.

It is super easy to remove the knuckle, and if the bearing has failed I would make sure to check your balljoints anyways, cause bearings usually aren't the first thing to go in the front suspension. Like I said my 12 ton shop press made short work of it, and that was on a 1991 Dakota with about 430,000km on it. I don't know if the bearings had ever been changed, but if they were it was a long time ago, as the bearing actually fell into two pieces when I undid the halfshaft.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM
jj141979
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an air chisel. Spray with pb blaster and run the air chisel around the hub and pry at the same time. U can't be afraid of getting A little rough!!

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing assembly stuck on!!!