3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PIAA vs HID? Fog lights help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
evans16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what HID kits did you go with? and where did you get them?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 PM
evans16

Well guys, I guess I lied. I was under the truck today tugging on wires and I think I found the plug. Two prong unit with a funny shape? So Now I just will get a complete kit with stock switch and everything. So the fog light question is done, now just for piaa or HID's! imput still please guys

Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
ram man17
Captain

i got mine from hidextra.com (sponsor on this site) Make sure you specifically tell them you have a dodge ram so they will give you the extra capaccitors needed so you dont get lamp out..
and for the fog lights i bought my whole fog light kit from PIAA even though i have the connectors under the truck I did not want to buy oem. I wanted a seperate switch for them and also on some trucks you have to get the dealership to activate the fogs.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM
glass3222
Captain

HIDs, but in projectors so you don't blind everyone with you low beams.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by evans16
weedahoe, what brand of HID's do you have?
I have Flashtechs from Chad at Uniquecoatings but I wont recommend him because of his prices. As the time I was just getting into HIDs and didnt know a lot and thought he was giving a good price on them. What I didnt know is that pretty much all after market ballasts and bulbs are made in chine and are all the same. I paid close to 300 for my 2 kits whereas nor I would spend no more than 120 for both.

Dont get my wrong, they work, But is was the pricing I now have an issue with and know better of.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Originally Posted by ram man17
..... Even though my fog lights are the pencil beam, they still scatter and blind the hell out of you. Even sitting up high in a new z71 it was still bothering me. Couldnt even imagine sedans and sports cars. So for now on I only use my fog lights as if they are high beams (only use them when no one else is on the road).
Hope this helps you out
Pencil beams? Almost sounds like you've got driving lights instead of fog lights.

Do they have a wide beam with a very sharp cutoff along the top edge? That's typical of what a fog light does. If they are more like an intense narrow beam, the pattern is more like you'd see for driving lights that you would use as high beams.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
ram man17
Captain

Originally Posted by PhotogTom
Pencil beams? Almost sounds like you've got driving lights instead of fog lights.

Do they have a wide beam with a very sharp cutoff along the top edge? That's typical of what a fog light does. If they are more like an intense narrow beam, the pattern is more like you'd see for driving lights that you would use as high beams.
yea sounds like they are driving lights...I got a great deal on them so I dont really care, they light the road up though!

Quick Reply: PIAA vs HID? Fog lights help?