3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PIAA vs HID? Fog lights help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 PM
evans16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA vs HID? Fog lights help?

Hey guys,

I have decided its time to change my lighting on my truck for I do a lot of driving in the dark. So the first question is, PIAA bulbs or HID kit for the headlights? I have heard lots of bad things about HID's and problems with them. However how do these two compare? Thoughts and your results.

Now second, since I did not want to start a second thread, fog light wiring. This is by the way a 05 ram. Base model and I have searched over and over for this wiring harness that is suppose to be there. There isnt, So I will wire it myself. However is there a way to wire into my headlights so they come on as soon as my headlights are? no seperate switch? Imput please!! and anyone use aftermarket fog lights and thoughts?

Thank you guys!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

Can't answer the PIAA vs. HID, but I can say that the stock headlights are not as bright as I'd like.

For the fogs, I got an OEM kit online that has factory fog lights with a complete wiring harness, relay, and switch. Installed it in about 2-3 hours and they really work great. I don't have them wired directly to the headlights, but they are set up so that they won't come on unless the headlights (actually, parking lights in my case) are on so I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them off.

So basically, I have to have parking lights or better AND the fog light switch turned on for the fogs to work. I wired them that way specifically so that I could use the fogs with the high beams since the high beams don't put much light down close to the truck.

I don't recommend not having a switch to turn them off because there are some times when you are driving when you don't really need the fogs on with the headlights.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I ain't a HID guy, but I agree the stock bulbs suck. I upgraded mine to some high end Sylvanias which are 100% better.

As far as the fogs go, I'd also recommend a separate switch, but if you want to have the headlight switch turn them on/off, then run your switch pole on the fog relay to the low beam light relay using a thin (about 18 or 20 gauge) wire. Nothing to it...

Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Matt99
Champion

I love my HIDs....they are really REALLY bright...and the deers eyes glow better w them haha

and i think someone (maybe hammer) wrote a DIY in the FAQ section

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 AM
freestyledude
Captain

I put in Philips Extreme Power +80% bulbs in and they are MUCH better than stock. Some recommend running relays to provide direct power from the battery to the headlights for a true 12 volts which = brighter lights

Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I vote HIDs and yes I have them. They are much better than ANY halogen bulb. HIDs will work if you understand why and how they work. I have had mine for over 2 years and no issues.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM
pousaan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have PIAA's in both my heads and fogs. I love them!!!! You can see a sign from about a mile down the road. They are the brightest you can get until you go to HID's.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM
evans16

weedahoe, what brand of HID's do you have?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 PM
ram man17
Captain

Ok I can answer both of your questions...
I bought PIAA fog lights that came with bezels, switches and everything I needed since my truck didnt come with fogs. The PIAA lights that came with the kit were pretty bright but did not compare at all to my HIDs that I have in my headlights, so within a week I had already ordered HIDs for my PIAA fogs. (maybe they sell brighter bulbs?)..The wiring is very easy and very do able. As for having them on all the time with your lights, not a good idea. I have my fogs aimed within half an inch, which was the best I could do, of where they should be according to Florida law. Took me hours at a brick wall one night to get them right. Even with them aimed correctly they blind oncoming traffic. I have never been flashed with just my HIDs in the headlights but once I turn on those fogs on a single lane highway about 90% of the cars will flash me. Never fails. One night me and a buddy switched trucks and drove past each other to see how each others HIDs were affecting on coming traffic. So I was in his 2010 chevy and he has HIDs in fogs and heads so we 1st drove by each other with only heads, didnt bother me either of us at all......next drove by with fogs and heads and its a very different story. Even though my fog lights are the pencil beam, they still scatter and blind the hell out of you. Even sitting up high in a new z71 it was still bothering me. Couldnt even imagine sedans and sports cars. So for now on I only use my fog lights as if they are high beams (only use them when no one else is on the road).
Hope this helps you out

Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
ram man17
Captain

heres a pic of my hids in the piaa fog lights too...

Quick Reply: PIAA vs HID? Fog lights help?