3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
jkap5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket gauge install

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. I have done a lot of work on it but I'm only seventeen so I know enough about cars to get by but this install is a bit trickier. I bought 3 pillar aftermarket gauges: tach, air fuel, trans temp. I got them to turn on and light up but I'm having trouble figuring out where to hook them up to.

Tach-I read to hook it up to the odd wire on the coil. First of all, where is the coil and what does it look like?

Air fuel- I read to hook it up to the sensor after the cc's. Is this right? There are also four wires coming from it so which wire should I splice it to?

Trans Temp-Do I have to use the included sensor with the gauge or can I just splice it into an existing sensor? If not, where do I install the sensor?

Thanks ahead for any help. Please be specific and remember that pictures are truly worth a thousand words.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 PM
jkap5

Also the supplied wires are aluminum. Do I have to use aluminum wire with them are can I mix copper and aluminum together?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jkap5
Tach-I read to hook it up to the odd wire on the coil. First of all, where is the coil and what does it look like?

Air fuel- I read to hook it up to the sensor after the cc's. Is this right? There are also four wires coming from it so which wire should I splice it to?

Trans Temp-Do I have to use the included sensor with the gauge or can I just splice it into an existing sensor? If not, where do I install the sensor?

Thanks ahead for any help. Please be specific and remember that pictures are truly worth a thousand words.
1) Coils are ignition coils, They are coil packs that set on top of the valve covers and have spark plugs under them. They have two wires on them. A ASD (auto shut down) wire and a PCM controlled ground wire I think.

2) A/F setup that you have will not work right. If you want to rear real AFR numbers then you need a wide band AFR sensor and setup. Those come with their own Bosch O2 sensors and do not use OEM sensors. Anything that uses OEM sensors is a narrow band and will not work right. Might look cool. But wont rear right.

3) Look HERE for a thread on DIY for the trans temp sender and gauge setup

Also check out these other good and simple threads. Connecting copper wire to that aluminum or tin wire you have will not matter either.

[VIDEO] DIY PowerWire

DIY Tranny Line Pressure Booster

Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

I was surfing the web a little yesterday and ran across this video for installing the AEM Wideband A/F gauge:

http://www.aemonly.com/wideband-air-...gauge-250.html

Last edited by Rich 2500; 11-10-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

^^^ right, but he doesnt have a wideband because he is asking to connect it to the OEM O2 sensors

Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
^^^ right, but he doesn't have a wideband because he is asking to connect it to the OEM O2 sensors
Yeah, well we can't let him use that thing, so now he can sell that piece of crap, to some Ford guy, and buy the proper EUGO Wideband.

Hey Weed while your here take a look at this thing.

http://www.aemonly.com/no-weld-o2-bu...inch-2099.html

What do you think?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Thats a cool clamp but I just dont like clamps. If you have any air leak in front of that clamp if will throw off the O2. A bung is only $5. Having a shop take a torch and pop a hole in your exh and weld it in place is better IMO. Remember that any O2 bung should be between 10 and 2 oclock

Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

That strip, they show, is a piece of thermal adhesive that goes between the band clamp and pipe to seal it, but I agree drilling the hole is the biggest pain so while the pipe is down might as well weld it.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ah....I didnt see that strip but that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket gauge install