3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing Infinity Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Infinity Speakers

Has anyone replaced there speakers with the Infinity upgrade. These speakers suck. I am looking at just replacing the speakers and keeping the head unit since I have the 6 disc changer stearing wheel controls (also budget). Anyone know of really good sounding replacements? I was going to leave the stock tweeters on the dash since they actually seem to sound good and would be a pain to get to. What size of speakers are they? What brand and models have you guys used and how good does it sound.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
kharding20
Professional
Default RE: Replacing Infinity Speakers

Im not sure what size they are or if you can even get these to replace them, but look into rockford fosgate speakers. I had a Rockford Fosgate set up in my old Z-28 and they sounded really good. Hope that helps

Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 AM
guitartate

Actually I just got an Alpine-9851 head unit for my 04 QC. I too thought the speakers were bad until replacing the head unit. The new unit made an amazing difference. Don't get hung up on that 6 disk changer there are plenty of other solutions. The installers told me actually the speakers and factory amp are decent. The big diff is a head unit for clarity and possibly a sub for more low but I don't plan on going with a sub due to space under the seats. Later

Weston

Old 06-08-2005, 04:21 AM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

Hrm..

i got FOCAL for the front and rears. oh man they are sweet clearaty!

<3

Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Is everyone using a component speaker in the front doors or a full range speaker?

Old 06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
NaviDave

They must have changed something.

The Infinity setup with factory deck is pretty loud and clear in my 02.

Just need an amp and 1-2 subs. Can't find an option that will let me keep the fold-flat floors.

Dave

Old 06-08-2005, 06:26 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

I know that the head unit will make a difference but right now my big problem is that when I turn up the stereo to 25 level volume or more, the speakers start to distort and that is with the bass turned to the -2 position, I have even tried the -3 and -4 position. I know that the head unit makes a differance (Especially the radio reception) but right now my problem is in the speakers, not the deck. The other thing is that I will be adding an amp and therefore the power output of the deck will be irrelavent. Does anyone know the size off the top of their head. I know that the back is smaller than the front. Can anyone comment on leaving the tweaters and replacing the doors. I dont think that I want a sub, I had a pretty sweet system in my Subaru with 2 10in subs, but I would always have them turned down because they gave me a headache. I just need awsome theatre sound, no thumping. I had been considering MB Quart speakers. I wasnt going to go with components because I plan on leaveing the tweeters on the dash and MB Quart makes speakers that are singles but sound better than some components.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
SRSchermerhorn

Dash - 3-1/2"
Front - 6x9 (5-1/4" or 6-1/2" with bracket)
Rear - 6-1/2"

These sizes are from Crutchfield.com and are for my '02 QC with the Infinity system. If you buy from them, they will include any necessary brackets and adapters.

As for which brand? I look for good construction and reasonable price. But I like Kenwood, Polk, Pioneer and Sony. Dash speakers? If they sound good, I'd leave them. Especially since I wouldn't know how to get to them.

You could get by with full range or 2-way replacements in the doors. I believe there is a factory crossover or resistor in there somewhere, which ensures only the mids and lows are delivered to the door speakers. Anything more than 2-way would be a waste of speaker and money if you keep the crossovers. Component speakers usually come as a matched system with mids, tweets and crossovers. And those tweets are too small for the dash.

The bass from the door speakers is enough for my taste, so I don't need any subs.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:30 AM
cmohr623

I have the Infinity speaker upgrade w/ 6-disk changer also.

I think the speakers sound great. I 've had the bass set from 4 - 6 and
the volume up to 30 with no distortion at all.

Maybe you got a bad set of speakers from the factory. Try warranty replacement
before you spend money on new.

Quick Reply: Replacing Infinity Speakers