3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 AM
PatRat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been eyeing this thread for quite some time now. Although i've seen similar problems, I'm not really sure about mine.

2002 Ram (US, so no DRL).

I've got a 35watt HID kit, relay harness, and 2 capacitors. (not exactly sure the specs on the capacitors however they have worked on a Dodge Charger and solved the flicker issue).

I get the same result whether I have the capacitors wired in or not. The relay clicks and the lights flash about 1 second intervals + light out indicator.
Could this be a faulty relay? Tried swapping bulbs around, swapping ballasts around,etc and same issue. Any ideas?

Any pointers or links to posts I might not have seen would be appreciated! Good to hear that others have gotten their HIDs to work. I only hope I can get mine going soon too!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PatRat
I've been eyeing this thread for quite some time now. Although i've seen similar problems, I'm not really sure about mine.

2002 Ram (US, so no DRL).

I've got a 35watt HID kit, relay harness, and 2 capacitors. (not exactly sure the specs on the capacitors however they have worked on a Dodge Charger and solved the flicker issue).

I get the same result whether I have the capacitors wired in or not. The relay clicks and the lights flash about 1 second intervals + light out indicator.
Could this be a faulty relay? Tried swapping bulbs around, swapping ballasts around,etc and same issue. Any ideas?

Any pointers or links to posts I might not have seen would be appreciated! Good to hear that others have gotten their HIDs to work. I only hope I can get mine going soon too!
Lamp Out light means reduced pulsating voltage which means not enough power.

Lose the caps and go buy 50 watt load resistors off ebay.

They trick the Lamp Out light which restores 100 non pulsating voltage which then in turns powers the relay to power the ballasts

Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 AM
PatRat

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Lose the caps and go buy 50 watt load resistors off ebay.
Thanks. Will give those a try!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
kbond
Professional

i have a question about the resistors. i read and fully understand them. i only have one quesion. 50 watt resistors but what ohms? what difference will the 6ohm vs say 12 ohms make?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

no difference for what you will be using them for. those on ebay are either 6 or 8 ohms i think

Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

Just drove over to Retro-Solutions awesome guys there Todd set me up with there dodge RAM kit which has everything you need, the build quality is the best but with that comes a larger price tag however he reviews convinced me to support the local guy also, you get a aluminum gun case to after you pull all the parts out. Installed in about 30 minutes and that's cause I had my kid running around and looking for safe place to mount resistors. I am extremely pleased no flicker, no lamp out it just works and another neat feature I can convert from 9007 to 9004 with the two piece bulb setup, everything marked on the bulb, has a quick release. feature so you don't have to fumble with the locking ring on housing which means I can swap out bulbs on both sides without removing the headlight housing. Lifetime warranty as well. If you haven't checked them out i would, mention dodge forums and he gave me a discount too. Time will tell overall but build quality is a start and still amazed, no mor.e cheapo eBay ones for me. Questions ask away. And also I'm not paid or associated with retro solutions just very pleased. Thanks Todd

Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I can vouch for Todd also. While i havent bought HIDs from him, I have bought projector shrouds and clear lens. He does provide very good service

Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Ok, read most posts but did not find answer to the stupid HI/Lo hid being reversed. I changed the little black and red wires (assume thats what the directions said) and all that did is shut the function down. Did swap the two light wires blue to tan left the common alone. Left passenger light in for load, and high is high but HID goes up on low and down on high. Any reason why this is not right or is it suppose to be up on low? 1998 Durango.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

bixenon right? depending on where or who you kit is from, the wiring colors could be different.

what bulb base are you using? 9005? 9006?

usually the small red and black wires on the bixenon bulbs are what power the electromagnet to tilt the bulb but those are not what you want to change. In your headlight plug itself on the hid harness is where you swap your wires.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Bixeon. 9007 kit on Durango. I swaped blue to tan on the kit side and left center pin alone. Broke that stupid pin pulling it from housing so I just cut the wires. I still see the hi beam light bulb on when in hi on the passenger side but the HID is low. There is only one position for bulb, so its not clocked wrong. The instructions are so small its hard to determin what wire to change. Its said diode but is the diode on the bulb conector(blue female w/male pins).

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...