3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That will work fine

Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
utahrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from the Gurus....

This is a long, long, thread... And I am not sure exactly where my problem lies, but expect it is the TIPM

I have a 2009 Ram 3500 diesel
I have had a "DIGITAL HID" bixenon setup installed and working since I purchased the truck 2.5 years ago that was supposedly designed for the CANBUS system. It is the setup with a relay and a resistor. It is plugged into the driver side only, with passenger side left unused. I do not believe I have any resistors. A detailed link to my install can be found here:

]

It worked flawlessly until 2 days ago. I no longer have low beams, but still have High Beams on both sides.

Here are the questions:

1) is resetting the tipm by unplugging the negative battery cables for 30 minutes likely to fix my problem?

2) If not, what do I do to fix the problem?

Help much appreciated.

Jon (Utahrd)

Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Disconnect the HID plug(s) from the OEM headlight bulb harness. reconnect your OEM headlight bulbs to the OEM headlight socket and see if both high/lo work.

If so, your TIPM is fine and the issue is in the HID somewhere

If not, the TIPM is bad

Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
utahrd

thanks for the speedy reply. I will test the bulbs asap. If the TIPM is bad, could it be "reset"?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Only through the dealer.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Ryu_Hyabuza
Angry HID Issue

Ok I have posted a problem using the reply button since I cannot find the thread to start my own question before and no one has even tried to give me a heads up with my problem so here it is again. I have an 04 Durango with the 5.7L in it and I am very adept with mechanics. My problem is that every time I try to connect my HID harness to the truck for some reason the HID lights do not turn off once I turn them on. I have contacted the Dodge dealership up here to see if I could get them to use their starscan to turn off the DRL since the Haynes book pissed me off and only described the DRL and not showed me anything related to replacing the DRL module or what not and they said they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I have tried different combinations with the setup with no luck. I have checked the ground, got a new relay and harness and still the lights will not turn off. I have checked everywhere I can think of on the net and there is literally no one that has ever dealt with my problem let alone know where the damn DRL module is (If I even have one since I live in AK but the truck might have been Canadian). So I ask if anyone has any ideas please contact me, I am at my wits end and about to just throw the kit away because it has pissed me off for about 6 months now and I would really like to have my HID headlights to go along with my HID fog lights (That I had 0 problems with on the very first time I installed them) If anyone reads this and would rather email me instead my email address is Ryu_Hyabuza@yahoo.com.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
bsharp74653

Okay I'm gonna order my HID setup for my 03 Dodge... Would there be any issues with running 55w in the headlights and 55w in the fog lights? That way i can have a consistant color.. Thinking I wanna go 8-10k on all of it!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
cmpx3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ryu_Hyabuza
Ok I have posted a problem using the reply button since I cannot find the thread to start my own question before and no one has even tried to give me a heads up with my problem so here it is again. I have an 04 Durango with the 5.7L in it and I am very adept with mechanics. My problem is that every time I try to connect my HID harness to the truck for some reason the HID lights do not turn off once I turn them on. I have contacted the Dodge dealership up here to see if I could get them to use their starscan to turn off the DRL since the Haynes book pissed me off and only described the DRL and not showed me anything related to replacing the DRL module or what not and they said they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I have tried different combinations with the setup with no luck. I have checked the ground, got a new relay and harness and still the lights will not turn off. I have checked everywhere I can think of on the net and there is literally no one that has ever dealt with my problem let alone know where the damn DRL module is (If I even have one since I live in AK but the truck might have been Canadian). So I ask if anyone has any ideas please contact me, I am at my wits end and about to just throw the kit away because it has pissed me off for about 6 months now and I would really like to have my HID headlights to go along with my HID fog lights (That I had 0 problems with on the very first time I installed them) If anyone reads this and would rather email me instead my email address is Ryu_Hyabuza@yahoo.com.
I didnt have the exact same problem as you.But both my lights would cut off for a second and cut right back on by themselves. Serched all over the net and couldnt finx anyone that had my problem. I ended up instead of using the trucks headlight circut to fire my lights, I put them on a toggle switch in the cab and I have been problem free for a month. Apparently my trucks computer didnt like the hids. You might want to try the same methed. Good luck

Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
cmpx3
Rookie

By the way...my Hids are on a harness with capaciters. Not straight off the truck harness.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM
bsharp74653

Is there going to be any problems with me running 55w ballast for my fog lights?

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...