3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by justin0943
okay thanks also is their a section for projector headlight I have no idea on which projector to get.
Depends on what look you want and what light output you want. Most people will go with a set of Morimoto projectors because they are easier to install and the output is decent

Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 AM
bike6699
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! Finally done reading all the posts...lol!

I have a 2008 Ram with Bi-Xenon HID's. I haven't hooked them up yet. I want to make sure I get the right resistor harness on E-bay.

First question..is this still a good harness to get? http://www.ebay.com/itm/151096229891?rmvSB=true
or is there a better one?

Second question, I have read a couple post's of people having to go to the dealer to reset the PCM..or something like that. Is this because they didn't not use the resistors correctly, or didn't put the 2 resistors on the passenger side light socket?

The reason I am asking is because I live overseas, and do not have a dealer readily available to go to in case this happened. If I do this install correctly with both the harnesses above installed. One on the driver side light with the HID harness hooked up to that, and one on the passenger side light with nothing hooked up will I have the computer issues in the future? if so I may wait to do the install.

Weedahoe, thanks again for sticking with this thread throughout the years.

Jimmy

Old 12-28-2014, 05:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Those load resistor harnesses will work fine. It makes it simple to install.

Correct on using one on the drivers side with the HID bixenon harness and nothing but the other resistor harness on the passengers side.

Some people have issues with their TIPM because of not using resistors (06+) but the 02-05s do not have this issue. You would still get a Lamp Out light one and maybe some flashing but thats all.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 PM
bike6699

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Those load resistor harnesses will work fine. It makes it simple to install.

Correct on using one on the drivers side with the HID bixenon harness and nothing but the other resistor harness on the passengers side.

Some people have issues with their TIPM because of not using resistors (06+) but the 02-05s do not have this issue. You would still get a Lamp Out light one and maybe some flashing but thats all.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:52 PM
HollyA
Default 2012 Avenger

I have just bought a conversion HID kit for '12 Avenger. 9006 6000k 50w with cancellers. Everything is hooked up. Lights will come on for a couple minutes then one will shut off. Does this need a relay harness? What am I missing?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by HollyA
I have just bought a conversion HID kit for '12 Avenger. 9006 6000k 50w with cancellers. Everything is hooked up. Lights will come on for a couple minutes then one will shut off. Does this need a relay harness? What am I missing?
With the engine off but key on, does it do the same?

In general, cancellers suck which is why all I use are load resistors

Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 AM
justin0943
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HollyA
sounds like to me a miss fire on the bulb try this get the relay harness and resistors to see if that works if not it might just be a bad bulb or ballast I know on my truck I kept getting misfire on the start up so I bought better bulbs never had any problems since.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM
HollyA

Originally Posted by weedahoe
With the engine off but key on, does it do the same?

In general, cancellers suck which is why all I use are load resistors
No. With just the key on, engine off the lights work perfectly.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holly, I think that is is because of the "cancellers" that you are seeing that problem...

I would personally bet load resistors and see if that makes the problem go away, if the problem persists then I'd say you likely have a bad balast on the side that keeps going out on you.

The only other thing that can cause that kind of problem is an intermittent ground connection. I've seen that happen on vehicles that use the grounding pin from the OEM headlight socket as the main ground... because our trucks have the TIPM system they all use a type of floating ground, and the TIPM measures current going to ground and will shut open a circuit if too much current is going to ground, and that is to prevent damage from a short circuit.

I've seen many cheapo harnesses use the socket as the ground and that is NOT good, so if that's what you have going on you need to change that to a dedicated ground going directly to the chassis ASAP.

If the grounds are good, then I'm definitely inclined to say that you likely have a problem with the cancellers or a ballast.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
HollyA

Originally Posted by Izero
Holly, I think that is is because of the "cancellers" that you are seeing that problem...

I would personally bet load resistors and see if that makes the problem go away, if the problem persists then I'd say you likely have a bad balast on the side that keeps going out on you.

The only other thing that can cause that kind of problem is an intermittent ground connection. I've seen that happen on vehicles that use the grounding pin from the OEM headlight socket as the main ground... because our trucks have the TIPM system they all use a type of floating ground, and the TIPM measures current going to ground and will shut open a circuit if too much current is going to ground, and that is to prevent damage from a short circuit.

I've seen many cheapo harnesses use the socket as the ground and that is NOT good, so if that's what you have going on you need to change that to a dedicated ground going directly to the chassis ASAP.

If the grounds are good, then I'm definitely inclined to say that you likely have a problem with the cancellers or a ballast.
I do not have a harness hooked up to it. So it's not grounded anywhere. We were led to believe the Avenger only needed the lights, ballasts, and cancellers. We have tried without the cancellers but we get the same result. Resistors have been brought up to me recently as well as you saying it.. maybe it's something we'll have to try.

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...