3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
mribeiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would that be considered flickering or strobing?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Anything that is not a stable and constant source of light is abnormal and not correct. Do you have the load resistors on the harness like mentioned on the first page? If not, you then there is you issue.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
zmansram
Default Resistors

Can 50 watt 5ohm be used? That is all i've found locally and wanted to get the lights in today.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They will work. I'm using 50 watt 6 ohm

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM
tuned93
Record Breaker

I need a campacitor. I have one, but I seemed to have lost the other... Anyone have one layin around?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:00 AM
suzuki750
Rookie

any updates on your flickering drivers light? Very curious to see what could cause this, i recently installed a complete plug n play kit from todd@retrosolutions, that has all the resistors and capacitors installed. Worked perfect for about a month and now the drivers light flickers upon start up sometimes, not all the time though, and it only does it when i am warming up the truck and idling, it will flicker for about a minute or so and then stop. Once i start driving the flickering goes away

Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuki750
any updates on your flickering drivers light? Very curious to see what could cause this, i recently installed a complete plug n play kit from todd@retrosolutions, that has all the resistors and capacitors installed. Worked perfect for about a month and now the drivers light flickers upon start up sometimes, not all the time though, and it only does it when i am warming up the truck and idling, it will flicker for about a minute or so and then stop. Once i start driving the flickering goes away
Sounds like a ballast problem. Upon warming the bulb up, the ballast uses loads of current that might not be supplied by the wiring. Once the bulb is warmed up, the current falls into aceptable values.
You need a relay harness if you do not have one! If you do, then your ballast is to blame and should be swapped out. I would swap ballasts from left to right and se if the problems follows. I know it's a PIA, but it's easy diagnosis.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM
suzuki750
Rookie

funny u mention it's probably the ballast. Just 2 weeks after i first got the kit installed the drivers ballast went out. This kit is supposed to have a lifetime warranty on ballasts/bulbs, paid a $40 deposit for a new ballast and it worked like a champ. Then i received the old ballast back, apparantly it passed inspection. No idea what's going on, if i have another ballast crap out i'm gonna flip! It has a relay and everything wired in, 100% plug n play with appropriate resistors, capacitor, and relay all pre-wired

Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
suzuki750
Rookie

another weird thing, doesn't do it all the time either, and never flickers when i drive. Normally only does it when i first start the truck to warm it up and kick the lights on, majority of the time if i turn them on with the truck not running, the drivers light will flicker for a quick second or two after full warm up and then stop, but if the truck is idling it will flicker quite a bit for a minute or so, weird

Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
zmansram

Got my lights in (the relay didn't ship with them). They work fine except one bulb takes a bit to finally kick on.

The relay arrived (capacitors sent with it) and when i hook up the relay harness all i get is clicking from the relay causing the lights to strobe. I reversed the power leads on the ballast as per instructions and get the clicking with no lights at all. I put it together without the relay and it is fine again. I'll be wiring the resistors into the relay harness tonight or tomorrow.

This is the correct next step right?

HIDExtra sent the harness and cancellers (capacitors) after i inquired about them. Even though the lights had already arrived. Big props to them for that!!

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...