3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny fluid and filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

While you have the pan down you may want to add a drain plug in it for future changes.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the Hemi but didn't see a spin on filter??? Where is it located?? Was gonna just change what comes out in the pan i only have 30k on it so not really trying to do a total flush. Just wanted to change the filter and do the drain plug like what was suggested. I am going to add Royal Purple tranny fluid. Friend of mine owns a NAPA and i get it for FREE.I decided to wait untill Thanksgiving weekend so i have more time didn't feel like doin it on Sunday(only day off)

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Prepare in advance for a mess. For me I did it in the driveway when the truck was only on jack stands and there just didn't seem to be a neat and clean way to get the pan off without making a tremendous mess. I thought I could get one corner of the pan lowered and let it nicely drain, but that plan went to heck almost right away. So, prepare in advance for a mess. Have lots of newpaper, kitty litter, paper towels, etc. Plus you will need plenty of paper towels or whatever you will want to use to clean out the pan. Note the location of the magnet and put it back afterward.

I got the kit from AutoZone with the spin-on and the flat filter:
Duralast/Transmission Filter (A/T)
Part Number: TF349

This was for my '03, no idea if this changed for your '06.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve/06 Hemi
I do have the Hemi but didn't see a spin on filter??? Where is it located?? Was gonna just change what comes out in the pan i only have 30k on it so not really trying to do a total flush. Just wanted to change the filter and do the drain plug like what was suggested. I am going to add Royal Purple tranny fluid. Friend of mine owns a NAPA and i get it for FREE.I decided to wait untill Thanksgiving weekend so i have more time didn't feel like doin it on Sunday(only day off)
When you drop the pan and remove the flat filter you will see the spin on filter. It looks just like a small spin on engine oil filter

Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Looks like the other guys have covered it pretty well. Be prepared for it to be a big mess, there really is no easy and clean way to drop the stock pan. I happened to pump out as much fluid from the fill tube with a cheapo fluid transfer pump from Autozone before dropping the pan. This helped, but it still wasn't clean. I also replaced the pan with a mag-hytech so next time i can just pull the plug, let ti drain, and then take the pan off.

be very careful with the bolts, whether you use the stockers or if you get after market bolts it is easy to over torque them and either shear them off in your trans case, or damage the trans case. The specs call for something like 105 in-lbs, but I am leery of putting that much torque to those bolts, i just tightened by hand to where i felt it was safe.

here is a DIY that outlines the procedure (not mine, just one that i still have bookmarked from when I did this)

http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/

nateroach

Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 PM
timekop
Professional

As far as the after market drain plug, would it be okay to drill a hole in the pan while it was still attached to the tranny and let the oil out through the hole? Although messy, I don't see why it wouldn't work prior to taking the pan off. Since you have to drill the hole anyway.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional

does anybody know the part number on the spin on filter. Napa doesn't show that i need one? 2006 ram hemi automatic 1500. thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 PM
broncoremy
Professional

@timekop:
I would answer no to drilling the the hole while still on the vehicle... but this is just my $0.02.

--If any filings from the drill process don't come out with the old fluid and get into the transmission pump, clutch packs, simpson gears or valve body you could have a major disaster.
--How will you protect the drill underneath from being ruined by the trans fluid as you create the hole and how would you prevent the drill (before it dies) from spraying trans fluid all over the immediate area.

You could do it manually but then the mess will still be enormous and all over you.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
broncoremy
Professional

@Weed:

do you have a part num for the drain fitting you used for the pan?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve/06 Hemi
does anybody know the part number on the spin on filter. Napa doesn't show that i need one? 2006 ram hemi automatic 1500. thanks
Did you try looking it up online...

30 seconds on NAPA's website...

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50022+2022009

O'Reilly
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...500&vi=1433793

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid and filter change?