3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Detroit Tru Trac and Motive 4.10's

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
lancer821
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Tru Trac and Motive 4.10's

My stock lsd shredded the clips and since I tow a 24' boat I decided to go ahead and put 4.10's in it while everything was being set. I thought this would be a fairly simple shop fix. I get a call from the shop and they say the gears won't fit. I went down there and sure enough they won't. Called Motive and they said you have to grind down areas of the diff housing. They did this and it still won't fit. They decided the bearings were not the right size and purchased stock bearings. When compared to the Motive bearings there was a noticeable difference in size. So now they got everything put back together and it fit.
I pick the truck up and take it home. It has a gear whine and when I turn right, not under load, it makes a growling sound. So, I take it back to them. I get a phone call that they tighted up the carrier bearing and it no longer makes the noise.
After driving for 2 weeks the growling noise is better, but still makes it every once in a while. The gear whine is still there.
Took it back yesterday and they "checked" all specs and everything looks fine and no metallic in the fluid. It has 80-90wt dino in it.
They told me the noises I'm hearing are normal and it is because the gears are cut different(whine) and the Tru Trac is just noisey. I felt like they just want me out of their shop. He tried to give me an explanation on how it all works. I know how gears work and explained that noise means friction. Friction is not good, but they said it was normal.
What do you all think? Opinions, ideas???

This is on a '04 Hemi Quad Cab.

Lance

Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

410s should not have to be cut but 456s do. And they do not mill or shave the carrier, diff or gears. They shave or notch the cross pin. This is from Motives site

CHRYSLER

PROBLEM: CHRYSLER: 9.25", 12 Bolt Cover, 4.56 and Higher.

I bought 4.56 gears for my 1/2 ton pickup, but I cannot get the cross pin into my carrier.

SOLUTION: It does not matter whose gears you use. You will need to modify your cross pin to use a 4.56 or higher gear in your vehicle. This applies for open differential, Auburn and Eaton differentials. The pin will need to be cut at an angle opposite the bolt hole. Because every manufacturer is different, no measurement is provided.

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/...tructions.html

They should NOT gridn on gears but regardless, you got them in. Are you sure they added the proper friction modifier for the LSD? There ultimately should be no noises though

Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lance, My guess is the shop doesn't have experience with installing gear sets. They should have recognized they had the wrong "install kit" immediately. I have a Detroit TruTrac installed in my 03 with OEM 4:10 gear. There is NO grinding required of the gears, housing or carrier. DTT differential DOES NOT have a cross pin. My DTT/gears ran quiet from the shop and make no noise at all. I started leaning on them after about five heat cycles and at 600 miles we re-inspected everything and changed the oil. The DTT runs quiet and feels like a open differential until loss of traction. Since you have noise when turning my guess is you have a bearing problem. Good luck..

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
lancer821

Thanks for the response guys. If it were you, would you take it to a different shop and spend the money to have it reset again and all new bearings again? FYI, I am not running any lsd additive because it said not too since there are not any clutches. If this is not correct let me know.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:41 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lancer821
Thanks for the response guys. If it were you, would you take it to a different shop and spend the money to have it reset again and all new bearings again? FYI, I am not running any lsd additive because it said not too since there are not any clutches. If this is not correct let me know.
That is correct, hell It even states that you don't need synthetic just regular gear oil. Mine doesn't make any noise at all, i can even crank the wheel and gas it. the truck breaks loose but no gear whine or anything. Something is definitely wrong.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by lancer821
Lance, I find it hard to believe anyone made a call and was told to grind anything. So that would indicate to me someone is lying. I would talk to the owner and the mechanic together and state your issues. If the owner isn't responsive I would immediately get the hell out of there and find a shop ASAP and have it repaired correctly. It shouldn't take much more than to properly adjust (load) the carrier bearings. I say this because the noise changes with turning. I'd have the pinion torque checked and adjusted if necessary only because they didn't get the other bearings right. The carrier bearings take a special tool so that maybe the root of the problem. And of course the ring and pinion need to be reblued to check depth and backlash. Good luck..

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well it's certainly possible Motive fed them some BS or the person they talked to at Motive just doesn't know their head from a hole in the ground. I went through a couple shops when regearing and through 2 sets of Motive gears only to go w/ Yukons. The shop that did the final install talked to Motive several times and was told a few different things that didn't add up including that they needed a special gauge to set the pinion depth. Turns out that the special gauge read no different then the one they already had and used to set up the gears. With all that being said the DTT and the gears should not be noisy unless you have a bad ring and pinion or a bad install. A bad install is the more likely culprit and if you've already broken them in then it's probably too late to get that set quiet. First have a good 4 wheel drive shop that does a lot of regearing check it out, then figure out your next move.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:08 AM
abarmby
Champion

+ 1 on what everyone said about the DTT being quiet.
I have had one installed for at least 22K miles.....all of which are church mouse quiet.
This shop is feeding you guff bud.
Go to a reputable shop used to doing Dodge gear swaps whle you still can!
Granted, there might be some slight whinning noise coming from the new gears.....but...... not from the DTT and not the growling you mentioned.
Finding a good gear shop with a reputation for it's work will pay dividends, then charge the other idiots the money for the repairs.
Better still, let them see these posts and tell them they must pay for an experienced shop to do it.
Al.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds to me like the shop you chose doesn't have a clue and yep, I hate to say that these gears are probably toast now.

Carrier pin should only have to be ground with a clutch type LSD.

Going on 5th year of Genuine 4.56s and Auburn LSD and never a hint of a whine...

Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
lancer821

Took it back to the shop and the "checked" all specs and changed fluid. Got into it about them not doing a good install and they smiled and said everything checks out just fine. Drove home (6 miles) took the cover off and put all fluid in a clear plastic container. Looks like metalic paint and if you put your finger in it you can feel all the grit.
Not sure if I can do anything to get the job done correctly at that shop without getting a lawyer, costing me more. The owner told me he stands behind his mechanics and the mechanic said everything is fine, just drive it. Truly pissed and not sure where to go from here, but shell out the money for new gears again have a different shop install. Not good when you run a fishing guide business and need to tow your boat to do your job.
Thanks for all the help guys. If any of you know a good place in the DFW Texas area let me know. Thank

Quick Reply: Detroit Tru Trac and Motive 4.10's