3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration/bounce

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/bounce

Hey all I'm sure his problem has been asked before but I couldn't locate it.

I needed new tires, the price in the last 4 years since my last set is crazy up about 40 bucks a tire. So I replaced all my tires with Mastercraft Courser AT, these are made by Cooper Tire as one of their lower-priced off brands. Good truck tire so I'm told by the dealer I bought them from. They have a BFG AT type tread on them. My other tires were a AT but less aggressive tread. I've only got about 275 miles on them but I and some passengers the other night noticed a vibration/bounce to the truck.

And yes I watched as they balanced them on the tire machine. It's a small town shop where you can drink a cup of coffee and walk under your truck to see whats up while they work on it. It has 101,850 miles on it. Could it be I need new front shocks? Or is there something else I need to be looking for. I had the front end aligned a few months ago and it drives straight down the road still no pull or anything. I have the Air Ride air bags in the back, so the back shocks have less wear and tear on them. (At least you would think so) So if anyone has had the same problem can you give me some ideas on how to fix it. Thanks, Hayden

Old 11-24-2010, 01:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I watched mine get balanced after they mounted them also and they had to do it 3x to get all the bounce out

Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well took one of the guys at the shop for a ride and he felt the vibration and he said he was pretty sure it was the U-joints. So we put it on the rack and he did the rotation thing and I watched it did seem to have a lot of play in the drive shaft. He also said they had replaced the U-joints in a 2004 ram with 85,000 on it, I've got 101,800. Is this a common problem, bad U-joints? thy're about $20 a piece at the NAPA store.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Several guys with 4wd do have u-joints issues. Ive read many a thread on it.

Quick Reply: Vibration/bounce