3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas pedal stuck when floored

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM
damiannojokeouttacontrol1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal stuck when floored

2006 dodge ram 1500 big horn edition hemi

Yesterday i went to pass a truck and floored the pedal, i went to let up and noticed the pedal was stuck. So i slightly hit the brake but that didnt do much at 85 mph and accelerating. Was late at night and no 1 on the road so i let it accelerate and tried mesiing with the gas pedal with my foot but nothing woukld pop it out. So with the speedometer buried past 120 i put it into neutral came to a stop on side of the road. tried messing with the gas pedal with my hand but nothing would pop it out. So siting with rpms maxed out in neutral and no way to disengae the acceleration i turned the truck off and immediately the gas pedal poped out. I started the truck back up and drove home 50 miles with no incidents i just didnt floor the gas pedal.
But next day wanted to see if i could recreate the incident. So on a safe road to try it i floored the pedal and same exact thing it got stuck only way to unstick is turn truck off. I did this 5 times and evry time it happens. There is no mats or anything catching on pedal and no way to manually puill the pedal out it is ****ing stuck when this happens. only thing to get it unstuck is turn truck off and it pops out like instantly.
truck is siting in my driveway and able to recreate the problem at any time.

Im posting this for some suggestions on what i should do? Lawsuit? report it to who? Or just take it to dealership and get charged to fix it and no report of malfunctioning truck?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 AM
BlueHemi
Veteran

I'm no expert on this but my guess would be that there is a problem with the electronic portion of the throttle control. Our trucks are "drive by wire", which I believe means that there is an electronic control box at the end of the cable from the foot pedal.

Last edited by BlueHemi; 11-25-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sure its not a toyota?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:12 PM
mikh338
Rookie

my 02 does this everytime i floor it(which is why i dont do that) I would love to know how to fix this as well!!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:47 PM
kjun
Professional

I don't think you have the makings of a lawsuit since it doesn't look like you are out anything. But you can report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact.

I would also take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Be sure and tell them how freaked out you were with a defective runaway truck hitting at least 120 mph. Maybe they will cut you a deal on the repair.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 PM
rickof08
Veteran

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
you sure its not a toyota?
I dont know why but I find that hilarious.....if i dont clean the throttle arms on my supra every few months it will get stuck on acceleration lol.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what the engine rpm's got to? Going from full load to neutual I think it would have spun up pretty good before the rev limiter caught it.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Any idea what the engine rpm's got to? Going from full load to neutual I think it would have spun up pretty good before the rev limiter caught it.
Don't know about the new ones but mine stock bounces at 4000 rpms.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
luckydt
Veteran

rev limit on mine is 4500 in neutral. I can change this with tuner, but really why?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
B-radical
Professional

I don't see the problem????? Just kidding.
Originally Posted by rickof08
I dont know why but I find that hilarious.....if i dont clean the throttle arms on my supra every few months it will get stuck on acceleration lol.

Supra you say............what year/gen? the 94-97's are probably my favorite car of all time.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal stuck when floored