3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck punched me with a P0406 last night!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010 | 09:37 AM
B-radical
|
Professional
Default My truck punched me with a P0406 last night!

The damn EGR valve

Thanks to this forum, I found a few write ups on how to change it.

Mine is an 04 5.7 hemi qc with 92k on the clock, while on the drive home last ngiht, it came on, when I got home I drug out the Superchips tuner, pulled the code, and cleared it. I'm sure it will come back on next time I drive the truck (It's not my DD)

Here is where my question is: I see mentions of when I am finished to unplug the - terminal of the battery, as to "reset" everything. I currently run the MIleage XS save tune, before I do this, do I need to return the truck to the "stock" tune? So that when I unplug it, it resets itself on the stock tune?

Old 12-02-2010 | 10:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

No need to restore the tune. But instead of pulling the battery cables, just pull fuse 23 (PCM) and flip the key in the ign to on-off-on-off and then on and leave it for a few. It will chime 2x. Then remove the key, replace the fuse and crank it up. It should take just a second longer to start the starter but thats normal.

Old 12-02-2010 | 10:26 AM
B-radical
|
Professional

Is that a super secret Dodge code for 1k horsepower? I like it!

Thanks though. I was going to use the pulling of the cable to reset the clock on my aftermarket radio, being I can't for the life of me figure it out

Thanks for the info on leaving the tune as well.

Old 12-02-2010 | 12:40 PM
BWhelan
Professional

[quote=B-radical;2336765]Is that a super secret Dodge code for 1k horsepower? I like it!
quote]

Does that work for the 4.7L too or only the Hemi?

Old 12-07-2010 | 01:42 PM
B-radical
|
Professional

Well $70 later i'm back in business. I ended up taking it somewhere due to being strapped for time more than anything. The bill came to $53 and some change, but I gave the guy $70 being he does all of my stuff that I cant/don't have time to do and does it fast, and cheap. You know, one of the "good ol boys"

The reason I don't have the time is I leave for work at 6am, and it's dark out, and I get home at 7 pm when it's dark out, we just got dumped on with snow, and I need my truck, and I need it to be reliable with an 8 mo old in it on the way to the sitters. So i'll gladly pay him to change it in his shop when it's 20* out, 5* with the windchill, and i'd have to do it in the dark with a flashlight

Quick Reply: My truck punched me with a P0406 last night!