3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
boopadoopa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Flush

I'm taking my Ram in tomorrow morning to have the transmission flushed and fluid replaced.
They said they run a cleaner thru the system then replace the oil. Is this a good system? What about the filters? The Tech said the filters get cleaned without removing and replacing them and the entire fluid is changed Converter and all.. Any thoughts.. I realize when I used to do it and drop the pan I was only changing a portion of the oil since the converter was holding the old oil and it wasn't getting changed.. I had my car done last month and its like a new car again and it has 111345 miles on it... My ram only has 52000 But I'm the second owner and don't know if it was ever done.. Actually Enterprise rent a car owned it and they usually service their vehicles pretty well as this isn't the first truck I got from them.. so it might have but it seems to be shifting weird since it got cold out so Im starting with a fluid change..

Every once in awhile Ill put it in Drive and nothing happens for like 5-10 seconds then the truck engages and moves.. So ill start with Fresh fluid

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
B-radical
Professional

I prob need to have mine looked at as well.....i'm at 92k. I bought it 6 months or so ago with 88.5k on it, and I don't knwo if it's been done recently either. I need to check the dipstick, thanks for the reminder

Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If they are not changing filters then they would not be changing my oil. Filters are in place for a reason and are disposable for a reason. They are not reusable.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Yeah, I won't get a powered flush. I like the idea in general, but honestly it's a lazy way out for the mechanic. Like Weed said, filters are supposed to be changed, and I've heard from a number of people that the powered flush can actually damage valves in the transmission.

This guy wrote up a pretty good article on how to do it yourself. One additional tip though; save yourself some mess and get a cheap pump to pump the fluid out of the pan through the dipstick tube.
http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/

Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur

There is a service bulletin #21-007-06, dated April 7, 2006 which applied to my 2005 Ram. (which is getting the tranny replaced under warrenty due to failure)
The bulletin discussed a "Delayed Engagement" after sitting for extended period, such as overnight. The fix.......replace tranny filters with the new design.

Thus, there is benefit to replace the filters with OEM filters as well, they will have the latest improvements, beyond the "it makes sense to do it right".

In conversation with the dealers tranny rebuilder to day he felt the replacement of filters wiht OEM units and regular fluid changes was key to keeping a tranny alive. Unless your lucky like me and have the freak failure!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM
broncoremy
Professional

Originally Posted by boopadoopa
The Tech said the filters get cleaned without removing and replacing them and the entire fluid is changed Converter and all.. Any thoughts..
My only thought ...Utter nonsense and an outright fabrication.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
broncoremy
Professional

Originally Posted by Buggsy
One additional tip though; save yourself some mess and get a cheap pump to pump the fluid out of the pan through the dipstick tube.
that would have been a great idea! (exhale and shrug)

dropping the pan to replace the filters and change the fluid is a terrible mess. ...but that is part of the FUN of taking care of the beast. I need one of those pumps.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Putting a $5 drain pan bolt on the pan also helps

Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boopadoopa
I'm taking my Ram in tomorrow morning to have the transmission flushed and fluid replaced.
They said they run a cleaner thru the system then replace the oil. Is this a good system? What about the filters? The Tech said the filters get cleaned without removing and replacing them and the entire fluid is changed Converter and all.. Any thoughts.. I realize when I used to do it and drop the pan I was only changing a portion of the oil since the converter was holding the old oil and it wasn't getting changed.. I had my car done last month and its like a new car again and it has 111345 miles on it... My ram only has 52000 But I'm the second owner and don't know if it was ever done.. Actually Enterprise rent a car owned it and they usually service their vehicles pretty well as this isn't the first truck I got from them.. so it might have but it seems to be shifting weird since it got cold out so Im starting with a fluid change..

Every once in awhile Ill put it in Drive and nothing happens for like 5-10 seconds then the truck engages and moves.. So ill start with Fresh fluid
The Tech is a bonafied moron. I don't know if I'd even let him touch my truck! The filters catch all of the crap that should not be circulating in your transmission, so why on earth would anyone want a service that would even allow that stuff to get pushed through the system so to clean the filters? Sounds idiotic.
You need to drop your pan, change your filters and have them do a complete flush of all of the fluid. I do NOT like the idea of using chemical to clean inside either. That is why flushes get a bad rap because the cleaners break up grime in chunks and clog orifices thus ruining sensors and blocking valves. Flushing with just transmission fluid will be what you need and want as it is a cleaner in itself.
You need to replace the filters if this is the problem as it's taking too much time to build up the needed pressure because your filters are likely getting clogged.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
boopadoopa
Professional

Thats what i figured.. I went last night and got the necessary filters and will be doing it this weekend right after i replace the water pump thats leaking... Always something but I know when i get them done ill be good for Awhile...

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush