3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint issues with Rams????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ball joint issues with Rams????

from what I have been reading MOOG makes a good replacement ball joint, however it is also sealed. NAPA makes one that should be greasable IIRC.

need to check mine. . .been a few months[&:]

Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 AM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it back from the dealer yesterday, they only did the right side upper and lower, as that was all they said was 'out of tolerance'. I'm not gettin' a warm fuzzy feeling at all about any of this. I smell another fiasco in the making; can you say 'recall denial??' Drew, I checked the site in your sig.... only found one thread that really related to ball joint issues, but I also didn't spend a lot of time searching. Mine's only a Hemi, too.... I can't imagine how much faster they might wear when you have the added weight of the Cummins over the front wheels! This could get ugly; I will definitely look into this more on other sites. Stay tuned!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Shorty75

Hello new to the Forum.

I just got the bad news from my allignment shop that my lower ball joints have too much play in them. 1/4" per side. How much tolerance should there be?

BTW I have 70,882 mi on the truck and have the 7/70 warranty. My dealer is unsure weather they can cover it or not. If not the Better Business Bureau will have a claim. The local shop wants $500 to replace. I have 210,000 mi on my wrangler w/ original ball joints. so I have to say [:@]

Old 11-03-2007, 05:21 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There have been many many posts
on Ram ball joints not lasting as long as an older grease-able design would,
and it is well worth considering buying the 'needle nose adapter'
shown two thirds of the way down this webpage:

http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/html...e-fittings.htm

and then gently and carefully
pushing up through the rubber boot of the non-greaseable factory Ram ball joint and adding grease every 25,000 miles or so.

There are also many posts on drilling into the factory joint and installing a self-tappling grease jerk...but I personally see no advantage to doing it that way, and several disadvantages.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Wishbone
Record Breaker

Do the newer '07 and up have a differnet set up since they went double wishbone up front?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:43 AM
kregier
Veteran

Seeing as we're talking about front ends, does anyone know where to find aftermarket steering racks that are more relaiable than the factory ones. All I've found so far are rebuilts, and this is going to be the 2nd time I've had to replace it in just over 60K miles on my '03 4.7 so I'd like to put in something that will actually last.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

When i bought mine it had 60k on it so naturally the first thing I did was have it aligned. but my guy (very good and very trusted) showed me that my uppers had a good amount of play. so I got new ones from napa. they were the whole upper control arm and they are greasable. ran me about $225 for the parts but from looking at the difference in the two I would have to say they are built a bit stronger.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW I have 70,882 mi on the truck and have the 7/70 warranty.

... If not the Better Business Bureau will have a claim. ...
Why would that be a legitimate complaint?

Dodge advertises that the powertrain warranty ends at 70k miles.

"The extent of thine warranty shall be 70k. 71k shall not thy count, neither count thou 69k excepting that thou then proceed to 70k. 72k is right out."
Ok, so maybe that's not the exact wording but it's still a pretty clear concept. They could cover it under a "goodwill" policy but they are by no means required to. 70k is it. If you didn't notice the problem before then, that's your tough luck. How far over the 70k do you think they should keep covering things? 70,900? 70,989.2?

For better or worse, it ends at 70k.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Shorty75

Someone here works for the dealer! If my Ball Joints are that bad at 70,800 were they not bad at 69,000? My steering rack was replaced at 65,000 were the Ball Joints bad then? I thing the dealer Chrysler should own up to there problems. I build houses and constantly warranty thing AFTer their year warranty is up because its the "right thing to do!" If you want to accept everything the dealer/maker says go right ahead. Its your money. I don't have $500 for new Ball Joints, maybe you want to pay for Chrysler's mistakes!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Ben D.
Champion

definately look for a new set that is of the greasable/servicable nature. my jeep wrangler has 108k on it and is a 97 servicable ball joints. same set from teh factory and still tight as can be.

Quick Reply: Ball joint issues with Rams????