3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint issues with Rams????

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ball joint issues with Rams????

ORIGINAL: Shorty75

Someone here works for the dealer! If my Ball Joints are that bad at 70,800 were they not bad at 69,000? My steering rack was replaced at 65,000 were the Ball Joints bad then? I thing the dealer Chrysler should own up to there problems. I build houses and constantly warranty thing AFTer their year warranty is up because its the "right thing to do!" If you want to accept everything the dealer/maker says go right ahead. Its your money. I don't have $500 for new Ball Joints, maybe you want to pay for Chrysler's mistakes!
Heh heh - dealership - yeah; I own a computer store. I know a bit about customer satisfaction as well as how warranty coverage works.

Everything I said is true: they are not obligated to fix anything because it was not noticed or reported before the expiration of the warranty. They can fix it if they want to but there's no basis whatsoever to demand a free repair.

You expect them to fix it after the 70k mile mark. Like I said - at what point does that expectation end? 71k miles? 171k miles? That's the whole reason it's been written in stone as 70k since the day the truck left the lot. You'd like the ball joints to last longer than 70k miles but if they don't, but do last longer than the warranty period, it's just "tough luck" when they do wear out.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
performanceag
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the diesel fronts have the most problem.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
bltp203
Rookie

Just tried to get an alignment today and the mechanic stated that both upper and lower on BOTH sides were so shot that they could not do the alignment. Ionly have 39,000 on the ticker.I called the dealer and they stated that the ball joints are NOT covered under my 8/80 warranty. The best quote I got from a private shop was $800.00

I called NAPA and the ball joints are only $81.00 each. Doesn't look like it will be that hard to do and certainly worth trying in order to save $475.

If anyone knows where I can find a step by step how to........please let me know.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Shorty75

Exactly, my wrangler has 210,000 mi w/ original ball joints I grease em about every 6000 mi. they arefine. My jeep has been beaten way more. The dodge is mostly a asphalt pirate, yet here I am. If I end up having to replace my joints myself I will definitly be going with the servicable ones. BTW anyone got a good link to those?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Ben D.
Champion

nice dude 210 on the originals. I grease em right around that much, i was checkin em the other weekend when I had the thing all apart. front hub/bearing on drivers side went out. so I greased it al and was yanking on stuff and it is all non movable

Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here works for the dealer! If my Ball Joints are that bad at 70,800 were they not bad at 69,000? My steering rack was replaced at 65,000 were the Ball Joints bad then? I thing the dealer Chrysler should own up to there problems. I build houses and constantly warranty thing AFTer their year warranty is up because its the "right thing to do!" If you want to accept everything the dealer/maker says go right ahead. Its your money. I don't have $500 for new Ball Joints, maybe you want to pay for Chrysler's mistakes!

Good luck with that, seeing as ball joints are not part of the power train.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Shorty75

Actually they are covered.

For John M.: You are correct, by law they owe me nothing. Its not about the fine print this is about right and wrong. Ifyouknew me I vary rarely rock the boat."customer service is not sticking tothe letter of the law". If you treat people like that at your computer store, I'll see you in the soup line!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

ORIGINAL: bltp203

Just tried to get an alignment today and the mechanic stated that both upper and lower on BOTH sides were so shot that they could not do the alignment. I only have 39,000 on the ticker. I called the dealer and they stated that the ball joints are NOT covered under my 8/80 warranty. The best quote I got from a private shop was $800.00

I called NAPA and the ball joints are only $81.00 each. Doesn't look like it will be that hard to do and certainly worth trying in order to save $475.

If anyone knows where I can find a step by step how to........please let me know.

39,000 seems to be a bit early for the ball joints to need replacement. From my own experience, 60-70,000 miles for replacement of them on the Dana straight axles is the norm, maybe sooner if the truck has been put through severe duty. The ball joints are also the usual suspects when it comes to wheel alignment issues. I don't understand why the dealerships hem and haw and don't zero in on what really is the root cause of a particular suspension issue.
bltp203, you can find the hardcore tech info in the Factory Service Manual for your year, available for purchase at the Chrysler Tech Authority web site, in CD-ROM (cheap) or paper Manuals (expensive). Or go to Allpar.com and look it up or just do a search on the web. They really aren't that hard to do if you have the proper tools. The most critical is the big Ball Joint removal/installation tool. You can find that tool as a kit with all you need at Miller Specialty Tools or Summit Racing among others online. Will probably run you about 80-100 bucks but if you love these Dodge 4x4's as much as I do and plan on keeping it a long time, it's worth investing the money. I always get my parts from the dealer, OEM usually and they should be able to offer you greasable or non-greasable ball joints as well as the beefy Spicer u-joints (when the need arises) at competitive prices.
Tim

Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually they are covered.

For John M.: You are correct, by law they owe me nothing. Its not about the fine print this is about right and wrong. Ifyouknew me I vary rarely rock the boat."customer service is not sticking tothe letter of the law". If you treat people like that at your computer store, I'll see you in the soup line!
All I've said in every post in this thread was that they could cover it but were under no obligation to do so. It would be "the right thing to do" but it's hardly complaint-worthy if they decided not to. That's the only part I objected to is that they somehow deserve a BBB complaint if they didn't take care of it. Some people tried to justify it by saying how soon after 70k miles it was and I asked where that gray area ended.

My customers are very happy with our service. It's precisely why we're chosen over the "big name" companies. I'll do anything I can to help someone but as soon as they utter "... or I'll file a complaint" it's time for them to leave the store because I've done all I'm going to do.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Shorty75

You win John M., surprise Chrysler will not cover them. Dealer says they can align the truck and that the ball joints have "limited" amount of play. I'm still looking for those greasable joints. I'm not going to the BBB because I don't honestly think they really care. Nothing new here, I'll keep doing my job and doing the "right thing", and they'll keep....... well........ just selling cars.

Quick Reply: Ball joint issues with Rams????