3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram, Broken lifters and cracked cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am merging your two threads since they are the same truck/same issue and there is a track here so you should get better response/answers...

Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, 4.7's are the only ones I know that throw rockers.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
bubbadah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's never overheated it and as far as maintenance I am a fanatic. Radiator, rear end, oil ( semi synthetic every 3k) throttle body cleaning, fuel injectors, air cleaners. Not always at the dealer, but always on time. It's really frustrating, I could have not maintained it at all and had this happen.

The possible good news is Dodge called back today and said they "may look at " helping me out.We had to take the truck back in and they will call the dealer. If they do, I absolutely will buy a Hemi in the very near future. I don't believe in letting good deeds go unrewarded.I hope I will be able to give an update with good news tomorrow.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
bubbadah

By the way, I am not looking for a freebie. I am just looking for a little help. It's frustrating to have these kinds of repairs just after the factory extended warranty ends. What I guess I am having the most trouble deciding is do I fix it and keep it or fix it and get rid of it? I had really planned on driving it at least to 100k. I worry if I fix the one side, will I take a hit on the other side in six months.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

If you are serious about replacing the heads then i would buy some remanned heads off ebay for about 300 or so and slap them on. 3k+ for each side is rediculous

Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 PM
bubbadah

I have semi good news. i had to authorize a teardown but Dodge said they will be helping in some manner. The dealer said they will cut me a deal on repairs and spplit the cost. I will be out about $1500.00, we are still negotiating on the $800.00 I have already paid in repairs. If it all works out, I feel it's a good outcome.

Thereare three things that helped. This is my third Dodge. I have most maintenance done at the dealer and I took the time to call. Dodge didn't have to do this. Right now I plan on sticking with them on my next truck, only I plan on a Hemi.

It will be a few weeks to get resolved but I hope to report back that they took care of me. This Forum was instrumental in me my research on these issues.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well be sure to let us know how it all turns out

Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's good news, since technically they didn't have to do a thing. I've bought nine new Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles and one used Jeep vehicle directly from Chrysler dealerships for myself, the ex-wife and my mom over the last 21 years. I'd hope they would work with me the same way...

Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would sell it and get a hemi. you won;t be disappointed i;ve got 140000km (bout 90 000mi) on it and is running strong, only thing i've replaced is 2 idler pullys and the power steering cooler

Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM
pro tech
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yeah, 4.7's are the only ones I know that throw rockers.
Guess again.....

Name:  IMG_1193.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  113.6 KB

I snapped a rocker on my '09 Challenger at 2300 miles. New rocker, rocker arm shaft, push rod and oil change, all covered under warranty of course.

And FWIW, when the dealership started the parts search, they found 2 other Hemi Challengers within 200 miles that were down waiting on parts with tossed rockers.

I know they have been using these rockers for years, apparently without any major problems. Sold my '05 Hemi QCSB this year and it still ran like it did when I drove it off the lot brand new. Probably just a bad batch of rockers that went into production, but to me, these are about the cheapest looking rockers I've ever seen.

OP.....good to hear Dodge is working with you on the repairs. 1/2 is better than nothing, but man, gotta still be tough to swallow......being just 3000 miles out of warranty.

^

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram, Broken lifters and cracked cylinder head