3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram, Broken lifters and cracked cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
bubbadah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram, Broken lifters and cracked cylinder head

My 2005 Ram with 73,000 miles started running badly so I took it to the dealer. Turns out it tossed a rocker, when they got in there they had to replace two rockers. A total of $600.00 to repair them. That was not the worst of it, they noticed my radiator was low on fluid so we checked it out. Turns out I have a cracked cylinder head, $3100 dollars per side. The really neat thing is I am 3000 miles past the end of my extended factory warranty. Only one side is bad but I am being told by many that the other side will follow so you may as well do both.

This is truly pathetic, I am appealing with Dodge. I personally think two issues at once, just after the warranty expires is a bit much to swallow. Maybe somone out there can give some encourraging words on the Dodge appeal process.

I know one thing, this was my third Dodge and second Dodge truck.My parents have bought seven Dodge cars. If they don't help me out I will never own another. I am a young man with a long memory.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
HouseApe
Professional

If they dont warranty it get it out of there and put a used motor in it.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM
x99j
Rookie

usually by the time they are tossing rocker arms they have been overheated. do you have any memory of overheating? and how come your coolant was low?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
hyperjay
Rookie

Originally Posted by x99j
usually by the time they are tossing rocker arms they have been overheated. do you have any memory of overheating? and how come your coolant was low?

coolant was low cause the cylinder head was cracked.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
03celicagts
Professional

Sorry about your luck. Preventative maintenance could of saved some $$.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I don't have to ask what motor.....

Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah RedTuruck.......I was thinking the same.
To the op....if you have a full service history and everything was done correctly, I think your appeal to Dodge might bear fruit.
Just be polite but assertive, not aggressive and I believe you should get some help from Dodge.
Best of luck and post up please what happens.
Al.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
x99j
Rookie

Originally Posted by hyperjay
coolant was low cause the cylinder head was cracked.
could be? but it also could be that the cylinder head cracked because of a low coolant situation.

we don't know if the cracked head is the root problem or a symtom of another problem?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it's a 4.7 and it's overheated at some point...

Although it's a very reliable engine for the most part, this engine DOES NOT handle over-heating well at all and people really need to OVER maintain their cooling systems...

As far as your issue goes, I'm sure you could find a low miles 4.7 and have a reputable shop install it for WAY less than a dealer would charge to rebuild yours...

Old 12-14-2010, 10:34 AM
bubbadah
Default 2005 Ram, Broken lifters and cracked cylinder head

I recently took my Ram in to get some lifters that had popped off repaired. While they were working on it, they discovered a cracked cylinder head. The dealer is recomending replacing the one head. I am hearing from others that these heads are weak and you should do both.

This is a well maintained truck with 73,000 miles on it. I was planning on driving it for several mroe years. I would love to do just the one head and get on with my life but I worry I am leaving a ticking time bomb.

Does anyone have any experience on this matter.

On another note, I may fix it and dump it for a new Hemi, does Dodge have the Rocker and cylinder head issues on the new Hemi trucks?

RC

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram, Broken lifters and cracked cylinder head