3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stubborn CV Axle - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
uponone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubborn CV Axle

Hey guys
I noticed that the outer boot on the driver’s side CV axle is ripped and all the grease is spraying out. I looked into a replacement boot, but at $30 plus a special installation tool…I might as well put a new axle in (they cost about $60 at my local parts store). The axle is only a couple years old (I changed it about two years ago). I also changed the passenger side CV axle a few months ago while I had the front end apart to replace my hub/bearing. So I’ve done it before and know the basic process but…
Here’s the problem…I can’t get the axle off the stub shaft! I spent the day pounding at it, prying at it, cursing at it. She won’t budge. There is movement (ie, I can slide the cv axle back and forth on the stub shaft and feel the ring grab, maybe 1/16” movement), but I can’t get it to pop off.
I have heard of using a slide hammer, but how? How would it attached…where would it attach?
What’s my next option if I can’t get it off? Open the diff and take off the whole stub shaft? What’s involved in that?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edit:just found my original post asking the basics steps the job entails...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-cv-joint.html

Last edited by uponone; 12-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
HouseApe
Professional

Just get a bigger hammer...
I use a about a 3' piece of 1" round stock and hit them with my 4 lbs hammer.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 PM
uponone
Rookie

Bigger Hammer...check

Actually, I was using a 3' peice of pipe...but very thin walled. I was crushing the pipe more than anything...I need to get a good solid peice of stock like you said. I'll give that a try when I get a chance, Thanks.

Anyone else...go on...don't be shy... :-)

Last edited by uponone; 12-18-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 PM
freestyledude
Captain

I pried at it with a big open end wrench, as well as two tire irons, basically anything I could find lol. Different things have worked each time I pull a CV shaft

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
uponone
Rookie

Ok...I'll make this quick cause I'm my hands are currently covered in grease. Got a nice pry bar and a sledge. Hit her a few times and the stub shaft came out of the differential!!! NOW WHAT!
Still trying to seperate the stub shaft from the cv axle. The stub shaft came out of the diff with the snap ring still on.
What do I have to remove out of the diff to fit a new stub shaft in?
Whats my next step...?

I'll try to explain better later (if its not fixed) But any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ralph

Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
uponone
Rookie

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ic-inside.html

Just found the above link. Looks like I can pop the stub shaft into the diff without having to remove the cover or any innards (as long as the snap ring is still in tact and not laying in the diff)

Now, How do I separate the stub shaft and CV axle on the bench...

Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
freestyledude
Captain

That happened to me as well... unfortunately I had to take apart the CV joint, pry a cap off the bottom, and use a hammer and punch to seperate them. Try to keep the grease off your hands if at all possible, it takes forever to wash off

Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
uponone
Rookie

Thanks for the help! For future reference...and anyone that searches this topic, heres how it went back together....

All done. The above attached link is correct...if the stub shaft pulls out of the differential, it can be popped back in IF the snap ring came out with it and is in tact.

The difficulty was separating the stub shaft and the CV axle...even on the bench it was extremely tough. I had to take a cutting wheel and cut the female spline off the CV axle. Once the two were separated, I ran out and got a new axle seal and a new outer snap ring (inner and outer snap rings are the same part number at dodge, I ruined the old one cutting the CV axle away). Everything went back together smoothly. Set the new axle seal, popped the stub shaft back in, popped the CV axle on, connected the steering ball joint, connected the upper control arm, hub nut, wheel, done Also changed my front diff fluid while I was under there.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
justay87
Default name of the boot

Hey,
I have a boot that is cracked open and throwing grease everywhere as well. I would like to just replace the boot, but I can't seem to find it on the websites for a few different parts stores. What is the name that your parts store calls it?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
uponone
Rookie

They just call it a CV Axle boot replacement kit. Not sure what else it would be called.

Quick Reply: Stubborn CV Axle - Help!