3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine shuts off randomly WHILE DRIVING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 PM
DaytonaDakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine shuts off randomly WHILE DRIVING!!!

ok i have an 06 mega cab 1500 installed a body lift about 2 months ago and every once in a while while driving at lower speeds like 10 to 30 mph the truck will turn off i dont even notice it right away usually a second or two later i pull the wheel to turn and i feel how its powerless and the brakes barely work usually im quick enough to shift into neutral and turn it back on and its fine but its still scary

it is winter so i can understand if i turn the truck on and imediatly drain the motors stregth by cranking on the power steering or something but this is like 5 minutes into driving and not always mid turn ive had it shutdown going straight

i thought maybe it was related to turning so maybe the steering pump but like i said its happened going straight

anyway any help or input would be great

also battery is only a few months old and is a very strong yellow top optima no problems there no other signs of power drainage turning is fine beside a small 500 watt amp and hids no other aftermarket mods that would drain the battery idk

help would be greatly apprecitated

Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 PM
BUMBLE_BEE
Amateur
Talking Think i got your answer.

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON? MINE DID THE SAMETHING HAD AUTOZONE PULL THE CODE SAID ERG VALVE. TRYED TO CLEAN IT BUT DID NOT LAST REPLACED IT AND STOPPED DOING IT & GAS MILLAGE WENT UP A LITTLE. NOT THAT MUCH CLEANING IT NOT WORTH THE TAKING OFF AND PUTTING BACK ON JUST TO SEE IT DID NOT WORK. HERE'S A CLIP FROM AUTOZONE.

You may only compare five products at a time.

retailerIdd874f148debugOnfalsevehicleId2946404view categoryHOME>PARTS>EXTERNAL ENGINE>EGR VALVE
EGR Valve

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Items
Sort by Price: High Low --- Select a Brand --- Duralast
Duralast/EGR Valve Part Number:
EGR4350

Price:
$39.99

Warranty:

2 YR

Notes:

O.E.M. #53032509AH, 53032509AF

STORE PICK UP
AVAILABLE

SHIP TO HOME
AVAILABLE

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 AM
MILK-E

My 04 ram did that a few times it was the gas cap was closed rite n the vacum was escaping it coild b it.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my old durango did the same thing. happened to me a couple times while pulling my boat. turns out the pcm was going bad. replaced the pcm, problem was gone. dont let the dealer rape you for a pcm either. you can get one online for around $150.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a guy on DT having this issue at one time and it ended up being bad joints and traces on the PDC. He replaced the fuse box and had no more issues.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 AM
jwebb
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 Ram started out like this. It wouldnt start got her started and drove 1 mile and she died. Put in park and started right up. Then the Regulator in PCM burnt out and low charging Power. My problem was a shorted wire WT/BL wire at LDP harnness.

Quick Reply: engine shuts off randomly WHILE DRIVING!!!