3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pacesetter Long tube headers install help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine this past weekend on my 4x4. The install isn't difficult it's just time consuming. Only issues i encountered was having to cut the tab off the transmission on the passenger side and a few lines touching the driver side. With a hacksaw it didn't even take a minute to trim the transmission. The hardest part of the whole thing was putting the c clips on the stage 8 bolts. Like said, remove the wheels and wheel well liners it will make it a lot easier.

Here's a diy
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...aders-diy.html

Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to go the locking bolt route but Marty at KRC talked me out of it and what he said made sense to me.

His theory was that something has got to give when putting a hardened steel bolt into an aluminum block and if the bolt doesn't give (loosen over time) then it's the soft aluminum threads that will. So I used the bolts that came with the headers and did not do anything to lock them. I also used the paper filter which I would not do again. I'm waiting to see signs of it failing, but the stupid thing has gone almost 5 years now and still appears fine. I picked up the Mopar filter about three years ago and it still sits waiting in the garage, LOL.
I check my bolts at every oil change (5-6k miles) and have had to tighten a couple from time to time, but never more than a turn or two.

I ain't saying anybody who is using the locking clips will have an issue, but to me there was enough logic in the guys theory...

Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 PM
rangstng

thanks thats what i was thinking too thats why i havent done it

Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

cant go wrong with post #2

Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM
davidonmars
Professional

doesn't sound all that difficult. I'll pick up a set in a few weeks and get right on this!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Start spraying everything with penetrating oil now then and do it daily or every other day

Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
davidonmars
Professional

how much did you guys pay for the PC LT with the armor coat? All i can find on jegs and summit is about 470 + shipping to canada which will prob be about 100 more after duty and taxes. Found a shop locally that will sell me them for $529+ tax

Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I bought mine slightly used from the forums a long time ago

Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought mine in early '06 and can't remember what I paid, I think I had more in them as I bought stainless and then paid something like $150 to have a local shop ceramic coat them. I figured between starting with stainless and then having a specialty shop do a thicker coat I'd get the longest life out of them possible.

Since they've come out with the armor coating I haven't even seen them offered in stainless anymore...

Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I got lucky and found a guy selling them new on craigslist and only paid $200 for them. The install isnt that hard, just takes time. I used the stage 8s, the first time around I never put the clips on to lock them in place which was a good thing since we pulled the heads to do the cam install about a month ago and they never leaked, never came loose or anything for the year or two that they were on there. This time though since the heads were off the truck and the headers were SUPER easy to put on we put the clips on real easily. One of the guys had them on his 03' for years and not once had an issue with anything happening.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Long tube headers install help