3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lug nuts came loose down the highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nuts came loose down the highway

Well i was on my way to visit family a couple hours from home and as i got about an hour away my truck started vibrating. figured it was snow in the rim and kept going got a little further and as i went around a curve it got really bad so i pulled over and looked and i could see metal shavings in the rim thought it was my wheel bearing so i called a tow truck and took it back home. turns out the lug nuts came loose and the studs were at the point of snapping off and the rim holes are just mangled.

so now i put new studs in and had to use the spare tire. checked all the other tires and most of them were loose. when i put the rims on i had a torque wrench and torqued them to spec. has anyone ever had this happen to them or do i just got bad luck with tires coming off down the highway.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:15 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When you torque them to spec, your suppose to drive 100miles and retorq them again. I like to retorq them after just one localized trip.
This is why garages tighten the crap outta them with their impact gun so that there is no re-torque needed. i def would buy a new wheel as it will happen again if the lug holes are ovaled out.
Do your lug nuts thread properly? When I had my mustang, I got a free set of lug nuts with a wheel purchase and they were so loose on the threads I was afraid of even using them. I bought brand name lug nuts and they were tighter than well...you know...lol

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

yeah im looking for a new wheel. and i have 20 lug nuts from my 20" factory rims i sold just sitting in my garage cause the ones that were on it were wore pretty bad. lucky i didn't lose the wheel and rip my caliper off or anything.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Could have cause a roll over in the snow, so you should be very thankful. Glad you are alright, and sounds like the truck will be ok too. Make sure that when you rotate the wheels that you snug them up while the truck is in the air (on jacks, truck stand, etc.) and when you lower the tires back onto the ground, torque them to spec. Like dirtydog said, make sure you retorque them after 100 or so miles.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 PM
JDG103
Veteran

yea u must retourqe after the first 100 miles...when i was an asst mgr for discout tire co. that is what i would tell every customer who purchased brand new wheels

Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This has pretty much been an issue since aluminum wheels have hit the market. It's imperative that you re-torque after 100 miles and check them again periodically.

I check mine about once a month...

Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

im running the stock 17 steel wheel with the chrome i don't think the aluminum rim would have made it that far by looking at the holes on the steel wheel. but yes i will be checking periodicly from now one i checked all the others after i got it back together and most of them were loose as well.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

Same thing happened to me when I first started driving. 93 Shadow, aluminum wheels. Just had a set of tires put on, and no one told me to re torque the lugs. Wrecked a wheel and five studs. Lesson learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts came loose down the highway