3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument cluster not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:59 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious here where a dealer said you can buy them new?
I have spent literally countless hours researching clusters and they're discontinued, cannot be bought new I've been told.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

They are exchange units, I do believe. You bring them yours, they send it out for repair.......

Old 06-19-2020, 04:51 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
They are exchange units, I do believe. You bring them yours, they send it out for repair.......
As far as I've been made aware that isn't possible.

when speaking directly to FCA I was told that the ONLY way to get a cluster and it be programmed to your mileage and hours is to order one brand new through a dealer, the dealer sends out a request to the company who makes the clusters, with all your information (vin, mileage, hours etc) that company is the only company legally allowed, and with the ability to program the clusters, and then they set it up and send it back to the dealer for the install.

I've also spoken to multiple companies that do cluster repair/programming and everyone of them has said that it's not possible to re-program one of these clusters from the 3rd gens.

I'm only going by what I've been told by the people who I would think would really know.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

There are repair services out there, so, no programming required. Turn-around times vary though. Looks like most of 'em are around 150 bucks, plus shipping. (likely both ways.) Unfortunately, your truck isn't safely driveable without the cluster.....

Old 04-18-2021, 11:28 PM
mlogisticsm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathanjkb
Along with brake lights, door locks, and keyless entry. everything else works fine. I went thru all the relays and fuses and found nothing so i took it to Dodge. They are saying that the cluster is bad and it also controls the brake lights, door locks, etc? Does that make sense? I have another cluster that i am going to put in and see if that works since Dodge wants $900 for a new cluster. Any ideas from the pros?
Also, if the new cluster works, are there any recommendations for a company that can program the new cluster with the mileage?

Thanks
I know from past experiences that it's not anything to do with the instrument control module but it's actually the ABS control module ABS control module actually does a whole lot more than you would think it actually controls your cruise control your speedometer and a handful of other functions that has zero relation to abs so it's pretty easy to overlook the ABS control module as having anything to do with such as shoes but I can Asure you that this would be a very good place to start. The reason the ABS control module would cause these issues is from over washing of the vehicle engine bay you get water in the electrical connector which will corrode the connection points and cause the issues to arise

Old 05-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Cali Forreider

Originally Posted by dp1500sport
When you did the cluster swap, did you swap the RKE module as well? Its my understanding that it's a separate module a little smaller than a cigarette pack that snaps onto the back of the ic. If you have your old ic you might check and see if that works for you. I just purchased a used ic off ebay the miles are within 10k of mine. After it arrives I'll try swapping them both out -the rke module and the cluster, and let you know how it goes. Of course this happes right in the middle of the biggest winter storm to hit my area in years...
did it work ?

Old 05-09-2021, 05:19 PM
Cali Forreider

Originally Posted by juan.81
I have the exact same issue and have gone through buying so many parts and no mechanic has been able to tell me what might be the issue. Please let me know if you found a solution.
did you try replacing the cluster ?

Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 PM
Cali Forreider

Originally Posted by dp1500sport
I have a 2002 1500 sport. I noticed the following a few days ago: When I turned the key on, the red alarm light comes on, but no instrument cluster, no power locks, no turn signals, no brake lights & no interior lights. The headlights and taillights stay on (even with the switch in the off position) I had to let the truck sit for a couple days and the battery was dead on Friday morning. I pulled the battery out and charged it overnight. Now, the truck starts & runs fine, and still the same problem. The power windows work, but none of the above. I've checked all the fuses, and none are blown. I've tried the cluster test - but nothing happens. I just started to check the voltages at the fuse box, the first two readings were right at 8 volts, however the headlights and tail lights stay on and after just a few minutes the voltage drops down to 1-2. I've tried searching the forums and this thread seems to be the closest to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I agree it’s getting to be crazy .

Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 AM
GrimmReaper
Default Little late but useful none the less

Originally Posted by Lacy Banta

We just had this happen to our 2002 dodge ram 1500. Was wondering if you figured out the problem. Thanks.
Just fixed this issue on my 04 Ram 1500 and it was a bad ground cable underneath the dash. If you open the dash flap it’s on the right hand side

Old 11-29-2021, 05:34 PM
GFORCE671

Originally Posted by GrimmReaper
Just fixed this issue on my 04 Ram 1500 and it was a bad ground cable underneath the dash. If you open the dash flap it’s on the right hand side
Good to know Grimm. Can u be more specific on location of that ground cable? Maybe with a pic? Im having issues with my 02 single cab v6 manual trans. I thought it might be the TIPM. But my cluster went completely dead at the same time. I also saw someone else post that it had to do with the brakes which is crazy too cause the day before all these things shut down on me i smelled a burning smell coming from the driver side front wheel.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster not working