3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel adapter plates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:50 PM
elliottdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel adapter plates?

All,
I have a buddy that has a 2004 QC 4x4 like mine and he is thinking about installing wheels that need an adapter plate, they 5x4.5 wheel but come with a universal mounting plate that will allow for the required 5x5.5....is this advisable? Is there any weakness in this design?

Thanks,
elliott

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always risky to change the suspension using "adapters". It stresses the suspension components and the wheel bearings. Now let the flaming begin.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
[meph]
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ur actually right to some extent mike. if the wheels have a deep backspacing and the ataptors push them back out to a relatively stock location, then you'll be fine.

if he's going to get adapters make sure they are quality (like high quality billet) and swap all ur studs out to ARP to just ensure ur own safety.

im running 2.5" adapters on my truck with 24s and 40s. that's a LOT of weight/stress and i haven't had any problems yet.

Quick Reply: Wheel adapter plates?