3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 RAM w/HEMI ; TRANS- CODES...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
zach raulie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 RAM w/HEMI ; TRANS- CODES...HELP!!

This is been going on long enough...i want to be thorough so i apologize now for the length...

I've been research/studying transmission issues, fiters, vacuum lines, EGR, PCV, Torq conv, codes, erratic idlings for 4 days on this forum now. Lots of great info of course. I am no way knowing of what i've got going on with my truck, so I have to ask.

Pulled following codes today:
PO700-general TCS Malf code...
PO736-Reverse Ratio Incorrest
PO876-Trans Fluid Press Sensor/Switch D CKT Range/Perf
PO731-Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect
PO841-Trans Fluid Sensor/Switch A CKT Range/Perf

I have had truck into my local and IMO trustworthy transmission shop 1.5wks ago. They have truck for 2 days. Say all codes point to a trans that should be bad, but they say the trans is in great shape in their opinion and that it is something "electrical" outside the transmission causing codes; "they see that a lot in dodge transmissions". There was also a "low line pressure" code at that time i have NOT seen again. They reset codes and cannot duplicate any malfunction. They charge me nothing as they said they can't guarantee they fixed it or not?

Next day i have truck and while in drive at a stoplight truck has a very erratic idle again at times fluctuating from 700rpm to 300rpm and back and sometimes 1000rpm to 400rpm. Sometimes it will stall, other times it regains RPM around 600. I call trans shop back and they say that it is something other than trans and i need to have it checked elsewhere as it is not a trans issue? I take it to my general maintenance mechanic and I make him go through a checklist of items that I have observed through this forum, everything is cleaned, fuctional "as should be", trans fluid great, filters great etc... No resolve from this mechanic. He calls local dodge tech in town in to look at over lunch, he observes truck for less than 5minutes and says new transmission is needed?? Wow, that fast??

Over the weekend now when starting the truck and immediately driving in the morning I actually do not have many issues at all with truck idling poorly or stalling, but once truck temp warms up to 'normal' range the erratic idling and stalling begin in 1st gear and reverse.

Other item to note:
Just over a month ago the solenoid pack was replaced on trans (I believe this is the right terminology)?
I have not seen the engine light since initial visit to transmission shop, but after a 2hr trip today the light came on once i reached my destination. I then went to auto store and retrieved the above shown codes. Same codes i had 2-3wks ago when this all began. I did check transmission fluid myself today and it is above the level on the stick. Not sure that matters or not?

Overall, these three guys have given me 3 different answers:
1. Transmission is fine, its something electrical outside trans
2. Transmission needs to be removed, rebuilt/new trans installed
3. I don't know what it could be now...

If i have to rebuild this trans, so be it, and if all 3 mechanics agreed on that I would have already done so, but that isn't the case OR are they missing something?

Anything would be greatly appreciated. If there is something I can simply check myself, please let me know as I have tomorrow off from work and can do so, otherwise i'm heading back into a shop to diagnose further tomorrow!

thanks
zach

Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM
zach raulie
Default i must be screwed then?

no one has any ideas?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If your mechs are SURE is is not trans related but think other electrical outside the trans then the TCM controls the trans and is built into the PCM.

Anytime I have seen threads/posts with P0700 or other trans related codes, they are always related to the trans and electrical components inside the trans.

Why was the original trans solenoid pack replaced? Were you having issues then? Since it was replaced did the issues go away?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
zach raulie

solenoid pack was replaced as I was having the same issues then(3wks ago). Issues went away, then i drove a 1200mi trip for the holidays and they came back.

I talked to the original transmission center a few minutes ago and he said that the TCM was not sending a signal, at all, to the transmission. They replaced a relay and it worked. Several days later i was back to the same issues.

I'm at a loss now, pissed, frustrated etc... I believe i'm going to take it to AAMCO and have them thoroughly diagnose the entire system.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

How many miles are on this and when was it last serviced(i.e.fluid flushed/filter change..etc,.) and what was the service performed?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
zach raulie

111,000mi.....trans was serviced at 65Kmiles and again just recently when solenoid pack was replaced.

I have the truck back in the shop right now...

Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd replace your filter that is located on the return side of the cooler. make sure it's the updated one that has no AB suffix at the end. The older one's would allow fluid to drain back causing improper pressure and erratic codes.
Heck, you got 111kmi on it now. It aint gonna hurt at all and it's certainly cheap enough!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I gotta agree with 'dog on this one. Replace the filter as drain back was a big problem with the original filter. I wonder if your transmission shop knows about this???

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
IOVMatrix

A tsb was posted about this. Heres a link to a thread stating it. Its a bit down the page. some codes do match up to ones listed in the bulletin..

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...lems-help.html

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
runvs
Veteran

damn 3 threads on trannys today wtf is going on and i have 130k on mine now

Quick Reply: '05 RAM w/HEMI ; TRANS- CODES...HELP!!