3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heat problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
birdman39897
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my exp. the heater will blow as normal but the air is not even near hot. This is the heater core. Unhook from the waterpump and flush with garden hose. Ive had to do mine more than once.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM
huseman808
Captain

I recently had a similar problem to yours. Check the thread out. Hopefully this will help you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ats-wrong.html

Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
uponone
Rookie

Originally Posted by huseman808
I recently had a similar problem to yours. Check the thread out. Hopefully this will help you.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ats-wrong.html
Great thread, Lots of info...Thanks.

Couple questions...
-Where did you get (buy) the Acid?
-What ever happened with the passenger side being cooler afer the Acid flush? Did that go away with use or did you end up replacing the blend door?

I think I'm going to opt to Acid flush my heater core. I know it might very well be a blend door but for 7$ and a couple hours time, it can't hurt. If that doesn't work I'll dive into the blend door possibility. One thing I know for sure, after hearing it takes about 8hrs to change the blend door...this project will be staying in my garage, no way I want to pay the mechanic!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 AM
huseman808
Captain

-You can buy muratic acid at any hardware store. it is commonly used for cleaning cement/bricks etc.
-The passenger side problem heat went away after a couple of drives. It as all 100% toasty warm now.

Good luck, and DONT FORGET RUBBER GLOVES AND GOGGLES. this acid is serious stuff so use caution.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
uponone
Rookie

Got heat? I do!!

Acid flush did the trick. Nice toasty warm heat!

Only one problem, I smell a very faint smell of coolant when I turn my heat on now. I hope the acid didn't make me spring a leak in the core. We'll see, so far the coolant level hasn't budged...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Careful with that acid, the stuff is nasty!!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
huseman808
Captain

Great! Ya, mine did that at first to, i was a little worried but it went away, after a couple of warm ups. Glad it did the trick.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM
uponone
Rookie

Update on the heat problem...

It was blowing nice and hot, but the smell of coolant was getting worse and worse until I noticed the floor in my cab was getting wet. I ordered a new heater core and went to work on taking the dash apart.

NOT SO BAD thanks to the help of the links 'weedahoe' posted on the first page of this thread. One of the links had step by step pictures of exactly what I needed to do...perfect. The job took about 6hrs to do, the only special tool needed was to separate the AC lines into the HVAC unit.

The heat is BLASTING now...and the smell of the coolant is almost all gone! That stuff stinks. I steam cleaned my carpets and cleaned out the HVAC unit as good as possible without splitting it open...so I do have some residual smell left, but its getting better quickly.

Weedahoe...I can't thank you enough for those 'how to' links!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Youre more than welcome.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Originally Posted by uponone
Update on the heat problem...

It was blowing nice and hot, but the smell of coolant was getting worse and worse until I noticed the floor in my cab was getting wet. I ordered a new heater core and went to work on taking the dash apart.
Where was the old core leaking?

Quick Reply: Heat problem...