3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does TB get gummy from oil breather tube??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
fatty270
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does TB get gummy from oil breather tube??

Had the hemi hat off my truck today and my TB and plate was quite gummy. Got to thinking if this was because the oil breather tube goes into air box after the filter? This gummy residue being from over time the tiny amount of oil residue air going through system thus causing this gummy residue on TB.

Has anybody just closed this hole off in box and put a oil breather filter on instead??

Any ideas??

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Markmm0000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would leave it alone. the oil filter gets gross and looks like a dirty mushroom. Did you notice all the tar was built up on the opposite side of the intake route. its comming through the intake manifold not the breather tube.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
fatty270

I'm sorry but I dont understand what you mean by that,

The intake would be pulling air from the filler cap/breather tube and to the intake so that is where I was thinking the source is coming from. Like you say a breather filter would get gummy and gross but I was thinking it would be better there the on the TB and plate.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Your PCV valve may be bad and may need to be replaced but I'd highly suggest removing and cleaning the TB.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by fatty270
Has anybody just closed this hole off in box and put a oil breather filter on instead??
Yes I did just that and it has worked out very well so far. All I do is pull the filter off every so often and hit it with some K&N filter cleaner.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a DIY on how to clean the TB. The dirtiness is on the backside of the TB so I dont see how taking the hose from the oil filler tibe to the intake off will help this.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
fatty270

I havent even looked on the backside but I can just imagine, my concern came from seeing the front side, this is where the gummy residue is covering. I checked the PCV and it is a little dirty from 100,000km but is still free floating but maybe I should change it anyways.
I will definatley be taking throttle body off and cleaning it either by myself or have the dealer do it.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

The backside is probably "just as you can imagine". Took mine out while I was doing my spring swap. The backside was horrible. The front, you could see the gummy crap just around the lower edge of the butterfly. I can post pic if you want. After cleaning, it looked brand new out of the box. Easy job to do as well.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:27 PM
fatty270

Yes thats it exactly, all that crap pooled around the bottom of plate.
Do you have a link or know where there is a post on how to do this job yourself? Also what type of cleaner to use? worried about electronics.

I have heard some horror stories of this job gone wrong.

Thanks for any help

Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by fatty270
Yes thats it exactly, all that crap pooled around the bottom of plate.
Do you have a link or know where there is a post on how to do this job yourself? Also what type of cleaner to use? worried about electronics.

I have heard some horror stories of this job gone wrong.

Thanks for any help
I used "non-chlorinated" brake cleaner and a stiff mini brush (not wire or you'll scratch the surface), keeping clear of any electronics. If you're careful, all will be fine. Some will say not to use a cleaner as I did, but from my inspection afterwards, the finish inside the TB was just fine.

I know there is a DIY with pic's, etc somewhere, but here's a text DIY found in the 3rd Gen FAQ's:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...y-hemivec.html

Quick Reply: Does TB get gummy from oil breather tube??