3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rack and pinion????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion????

I have replaced two rack and pinions recently.... ive installed them correctly both times.... my new one has been in for about 4 months and is already leaking horribly... I have this distict feeling that the oem replacement rack and pinion just doesn't cut it for the rams big front end and I am sure 20" rims dont help much.... Not really looking for any help on install or anything I just wanna know if anyone knows where i can get a better heavier duty longer lasting better made aftermarket rack and pinions.... Any answers would be greatly appreciated.... Noticed it when I was pulling drive shafts off to replace u joints.... Thanks ~Mike

Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This comes up from time to time and I don't believe I've seen a response that had any available other than OEM.

I dunno what it is with these racks because once you lose one, it seems to be that truck's destiny to go through them. I know guys running tires that are too big for a 1500 IFS truck on heavy a$$ 20" wheels with 6" or more of lift who have 150k miles on their stock rack without a hint of a leak. I know guys with bone stock trucks who are on their third rack with only 50k miles on their truck...

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Matt99
Champion

Yea Hammer hit it on the head, it seems like you wither have problems or done with these racks. People that have problems end up having to replace them numerous times.

And I have not seen any option other than an OEM replacement. You could always get an aftermarket and MAKE it work, but never seen a direct replacement

Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
ALLDATAdiyINFO
Former Vendor

Not 2nd guessing you, but are you bleeding the system according to TSB-19-008-05A?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

TSB-19-008-05A

CAUTION: MOPART Power Steering Fluid +4 or ATF+4 (MS-9602) is to be used in the
power steering system of CS, DR, DH, D1, HB, JR, KJ, LX, LE, ND, PL, PT,
RG, and RS vehicles. Mopar Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid (MS 10838) is
to be used in the power steering system of WK, WH, XH, and XK vehicles.
No other power steering or automatic transmission fluid is to be used in
these systems. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system
if the incorrect fluid is used. Do not overfill the power steering reservoir.
CAUTION: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, pump
failure could result.
NOTE: If the power steering reservoir cap does not have a dipstick, there will be a
sight window on the side of the reservoir for checking fluid level.
NOTE: Be sure the vacuum tool used in the following procedure is clean and free of
any fluids.
1. Wipe the filler cap clean with a clean rag and fill the power steering reservoir to the
proper level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal ambient
temperature.
2. Tightly insert Miller Special Tool, 9688 - P/S Cap Adapter, onto the pump reservoir
(Fig. 1).
CAUTION: Failure to properly connect the vacuum pump reservoir may allow power
steering fluid to be sucked into the vacuum pump.
CAUTION: Do not run the engine while vacuum is applied to the power steering
system.
NOTE: When performing (Step #3), make sure the minimum vacuum level is
maintained during the entire time period.
3. Using a hand vacuum pump, Miller Special Tool C-4207-A, with the vacuum reservoir
attached, apply 68-85 kPa (20-25 in. Hg) of vacuum to the power steering system for a
minimum of 3 minutes.
4. Slowly release the vacuum, remove the special tools and add fluid to the proper level if
necessary.
5. Repeat (Step #1) through (Step #4) until the fluid level no longer drops.
6. Start the engine and cycle the steering wheel from lock to lock three times.
NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel on stops. 7. Stop the engine and check for leaks at all connections. Check for any signs of air in the
reservoir and check reservoir level. If air is present repeat the procedure if necessary.

If there's ANY contamination or metal particles in the system....that's a good way to begin new seals leaking. The pump and lines do hold fluid that must be pumped out! You CANNOT install the new rack and then do a flush. It must be done before the old rack comes out or after it's already out.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
This comes up from time to time and I don't believe I've seen a response that had any available other than OEM.

I dunno what it is with these racks because once you lose one, it seems to be that truck's destiny to go through them. I know guys running tires that are too big for a 1500 IFS truck on heavy a$$ 20" wheels with 6" or more of lift who have 150k miles on their stock rack without a hint of a leak. I know guys with bone stock trucks who are on their third rack with only 50k miles on their truck...
Im one of those ....

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

yeah ive purged system done air check replaced all lines rack and pinion... there is nothing else i can do other then replace the rack again........ I just seem to always see these truck shows on tv and they replace racks and everything else with these high grade offroad rack and pinions... I am about tired of dodge...transmissions are ****... and appearently everything else..... the tuck is about paid off and plan on doing a frame off resto and turning it into a big sand toy but as of right now its my daily driver and this **** sucks.... if anyone finds any ideas in the future please let me know.... i think imma try and get a rack and pinion from a heavy duty ram and make it work some how... maybe a power wagon.... as for dodge im buying ford from now on this ****s rediculous

Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
TSB-19-008-05A

CAUTION: MOPART Power Steering Fluid +4 or ATF+4 (MS-9602) is to be used in the
power steering system of CS, DR, DH, D1, HB, JR, KJ, LX, LE, ND, PL, PT,
RG, and RS vehicles. Mopar Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid (MS 10838) is
to be used in the power steering system of WK, WH, XH, and XK vehicles.
No other power steering or automatic transmission fluid is to be used in
these systems. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system
if the incorrect fluid is used. Do not overfill the power steering reservoir.
CAUTION: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, pump
failure could result.
NOTE: If the power steering reservoir cap does not have a dipstick, there will be a
sight window on the side of the reservoir for checking fluid level.
NOTE: Be sure the vacuum tool used in the following procedure is clean and free of
any fluids.
1. Wipe the filler cap clean with a clean rag and fill the power steering reservoir to the
proper level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal ambient
temperature.
2. Tightly insert Miller Special Tool, 9688 - P/S Cap Adapter, onto the pump reservoir
(Fig. 1).
CAUTION: Failure to properly connect the vacuum pump reservoir may allow power
steering fluid to be sucked into the vacuum pump.
CAUTION: Do not run the engine while vacuum is applied to the power steering
system.
NOTE: When performing (Step #3), make sure the minimum vacuum level is
maintained during the entire time period.
3. Using a hand vacuum pump, Miller Special Tool C-4207-A, with the vacuum reservoir
attached, apply 68-85 kPa (20-25 in. Hg) of vacuum to the power steering system for a
minimum of 3 minutes.
4. Slowly release the vacuum, remove the special tools and add fluid to the proper level if
necessary.
5. Repeat (Step #1) through (Step #4) until the fluid level no longer drops.
6. Start the engine and cycle the steering wheel from lock to lock three times.
NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel on stops. 7. Stop the engine and check for leaks at all connections. Check for any signs of air in the
reservoir and check reservoir level. If air is present repeat the procedure if necessary.

If there's ANY contamination or metal particles in the system....that's a good way to begin new seals leaking. The pump and lines do hold fluid that must be pumped out! You CANNOT install the new rack and then do a flush. It must be done before the old rack comes out or after it's already out.
ive done all that specific to dodges service manual.... i accually pulled the whole system out when i did the last one.... meaning: pump all lines rack and pinion replaced everything and did exactly what i was supposed to had a mechanic with me to make sure i did it right he even said he cant figure it out.... dealers are stumped ....

Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you have an alignment done after the rack install?
The tires/rims don't much matter since these trucks come with 33's on 20" wheels stock!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

yes i did

Quick Reply: rack and pinion????