3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Ram inherent front end shake when in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011 | 08:04 PM
miroj
|

It has been a few weeks now and still no resolution. The dealer ship was authorized to research the problem further but was stopped in there tracks as of last Friday. I have contacted my Chrysler case manager 3 times this week for an update from her but no call back. I did get information that they are communicating with the dealer ship to still look at all options. This week we were hit with 20" of snow so the 4wd is getting a work out and definitely shaking me to death... I have begun looking at alternate vehicles because I truly cannot support a company which has a poor design. I will hope for the best and update any developments.

Old 02-05-2011 | 10:09 AM
ggrif
Default Front end shake while in 4wheel drive/under accel.

I have the same thing. The dealer(under warranty at about 32000mi) replaced the rt. front half shaft and and inner stub shaft. Said the half shaft was frozen to the inner stub shaft.That did seem to solve the issue for me....except now it is doing this again on the drivers side.

I hope you dont have to replace front shocks. Mine started leaking just after the warranty expired... Had to replace the whole lower control arm(only one) because the shock bolt was "frozen" to the bushing. Dodge doesnt(nor does anyone else) make a replacement bushing? That was $460, just for the control arm.
Should we start with the annoying wind noise....dash lights going out....
This fine american made truck is about to get the best of me!
Good luck, and hope this helps.
Greg

Old 02-05-2011 | 10:27 AM
BigHorn777
Professional

Well I guess I can join the club here. I also have a 2007 with the same issue, if someone does find out the answer I'd like to know because mine is still under warranty and I would like to get it fixed before it expires. If you don't launch on the throttle it doesn't shake so much. Seems like a problem when stepping on the pedal a little to hard and then it causes the shake in the front end. I have just learned not to push the pedal down to fast and it seems to calm it down. But I agree something is not right here, and it sucks. I also have a buddy with a 2006 that does the same thing, so it is not just 07's.

Old 02-05-2011 | 11:39 AM
dakotatrevor
Professional

My 06 had vibe problems the first day I got it used, in 2wd. I didn't notice it on the test drive. I took it back and they rebalanced the wheels a total of 3 times (oddly putting slightly different weights on each time). They replaced one rear u-joint, and had both driveshafts checked. This took care of the vibration for the most part. It was still there, but nothing more than you could expect from a truck.

I recently put in a 2" leveling kit, and now it vibrates pretty bad accelerating in 4x4. I have yet to pull it in the shop to check it out, but every thread like this has got me worried that it's the 'death wobble'

Old 02-07-2011 | 07:09 PM
05SLTSPORT

This is a normal issue for even a Ram Big Horn in stock form. its part of the truck and theres nothing that can be done. also when you add a leveling kit you change the operation angle of the driveline causing it to work out of the angle it was designed to. causing a shake.

Old 02-07-2011 | 08:34 PM
ggrif
Thumbs down Normal Issues?????????????

Had I known about several of these "normal issues", I wouldn't be a member here!
There are some serious design flaws with these trucks. The problems "inherent" with the Ram are unacceptable.
But, you can't sell these things without taking a bath.....
Need a little more research before my next buy.

Old 02-08-2011 | 06:21 PM
miroj
|

Thanks everyone for all your replies. These forums have helped me out greatly! My opinion is that when you purchase a truck such as a Dodge Truck it should not shake in 4wd. My truck is not lifted or raised. I could not even get a call back from the case manager after calling her 3 times last week. I love the design of the Dodge Ram and still respect them going down the road. Unfortunately Monday was the last day owning it. I traded it for a Ford F250. And guess what? It does not shake in 2wd or 4wd. Good luck everyone with your Rams.

Old 02-10-2011 | 07:55 AM
cam01ss
Amateur
Default vibration at 60mph

i dont have a vibration in 4wd but i do have another concern. i have had my truck for a year and ever since i bought it i had a vibration from 58-68 when i hit 70 it goes away completely. it has been to the dealer numerous times and they have replaced universals, driveshaft, front axles and bearings, front struts. me myself being agrivated about this problem have replaced all 4 tires, brakes , rotors, numerous balancing of tires. niothing has helped so for now i drive 70mph and above. lol. has anyone experienced same symptoms and can you point me in the right direction

thanks

Old 02-10-2011 | 07:20 PM
Jackstep0832
Amateur

i have an 07 1500 4x4...dont have this problem...hopefully never will. i have had front pass. strut replaced last year because the fluid leaked out of it. I had my tires rotated and it did this, but i took it back the next day and they had to rebalance the tires and its been fine again ever since.

Quick Reply: 07 Ram inherent front end shake when in 4wd