3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

installing twin turbo 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Raaaamyourmom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing twin turbo 5.7 hemi

I have a 2003 dodge ram. I am swapping the motor with a 2005 hemi with 20,000 on it. I was wondering am I going to be able to run a twin turbo off that stock hemi? or no? Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
nateroach
Veteran

The 2005 opens up the tuning options for you and should make it easier to do something like this, but only if you swap PCM and wiring from the 05 along with the motor.

From what I have seen online you should not have a problem running boost on the HEMI, just as long as you have the proper MAP sensor, injectors, plugs etc. On the stock setup most recommend that you run no more than 6-8 lbs of boost. the bottom end's health is questionable beyond that.

take a look over on DT as well. several guys over there have trucks that whistle.

nateroach

Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2005 is the perfect swap motor.It has tunability without MDS.A turbo, not only can be done-but has been done. If you do it keep us posted with pictures.I'd like to see how it turns out, along with a dyna reading ..

Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been looking at the twin turbo's recently..I think I'm going to do it..I need more info about the subject..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Like Nateroach said, you need the PCM and full engine harness to take advantage of the engine and tuning

Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Rick_Freeney

I have a 2006 dodge charger with performance package, that just turned 150K miles on it yesterday. Hemi 5.7 w/ md system on it and used it strictly as a commuter vehicle because of the md system. I am interested in in putting a supercharger or turbo on it but wondreing if the md system can be disabled or can I even put that sort of power on this motor with that kind of miles on it?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
hemispherical engine101

I have recently learned that the way to disable MDS is with a tuner. You should be able to hook it up and turn it off. Kinda pricey, so I advise you find someone who has one and ask nicely. As far the mileage, to run that type of power on an engine, be prepared to tear some stuff up, not only on your engine, but also the rest of your car. Differential, transmission, etc. Cause there is also that much mileage on those parts as well.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as I know (which may not be very far...), most tuners are vehicle-specific. Meaning, it can only be "hooked up" to one vehicle at a time and in order to use it on a different vehicle the owner has to reset their current vehicle back to stock settings. I don't believe it's possible to just "pass around" a tuner.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 02-17-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick_Freeney
I have a 2006 dodge charger with performance package, that just turned 150K miles on it yesterday. Hemi 5.7 w/ md system on it and used it strictly as a commuter vehicle because of the md system. I am interested in in putting a supercharger or turbo on it but wondreing if the md system can be disabled or can I even put that sort of power on this motor with that kind of miles on it?
Yes and Yes.
Diablo for Power adders so you can customize the tunes and Superchips for otherwise stock. Both disable MDS. Been doing this since late 2008.

Originally Posted by hemispherical engine101
I have recently learned that the way to disable MDS is with a tuner. You should be able to hook it up and turn it off. Kinda pricey, so I advise you find someone who has one and ask nicely. As far the mileage, to run that type of power on an engine, be prepared to tear some stuff up, not only on your engine, but also the rest of your car. Differential, transmission, etc. Cause there is also that much mileage on those parts as well.
Just as already stated, you CANNOT use a tuner on more than One Vehicle at any given time. Think about it like this...There's a single tune in the tuner and once you load it into your truck, you must take it out before you can put that tune into another truck. If my cousin asked me nicely I still wouldnt load the tune in his vehicle. Takes too much time and is a complete hassle plus is marks a counter on your vehicle everytime you load/unload the tuner which the dealer can see, but for some that isnt a concern. And $250 for a used tuner is not expensive for the power you get either. Guys pay more than that for a CAI which has pretty much no gains by itself.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 AM
hemispherical engine101

Sorry for the bad info guys. If I had thought about it, I would have realized it. No, they are not interchangeable. Too expensive for me to want to buy though....

Quick Reply: installing twin turbo 5.7 hemi