3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter Ticks in Cold Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
02RamMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lifter Ticks in Cold Weather?

Hey guys when I first start the truck when it is cold outside one on the lifters ticks a little for about a minute. It's not real loud, but noticeable. The oil pressure gauge is showing good oil pressure. I put some Lucas oil additive in it to hopefully smooth it out, but it didn't work. Is this normal, will it hurt anything if I drive it while it is still ticking? Is there anything I can add to the oil to smooth it out?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM
marky0304
Rookie

Sounds like you have what is commonly known as the "Hemi Tick". If you have good oil pressure I don't think you have anything to worry about. Someone will chime in about the actual cause of the tick, but all in all it's harmless.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be an exhaust leak. They'll tick until the parts warm up.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

exhaust leak, lifters, timing chain tensioner, pistons. Pick your poison. Lots of 4.7 doing it, including mine. Good luck finding it!
Edit: Make sure to warm up until tick disappears, before driving away.

Last edited by big guy; 01-29-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, first thing I would check are those 17 exhaust manifold bolts. There are 8 of the drivers side and 9 on the passengers I think.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 AM
cbauer15
Rookie

It's called hemi tick and it's noticeabltimes than others. The problem is it is not going to go away and it is on every new hemi up till the 08's. If your truck is under warranty you can take it in to a dealer and get the litters replaced if you won't need it fir about a week and a half. The dealer may tell you that it nothing but if you fight hard enough they might give in. I havent took mine in yet but it doesn't cause any problems and its rarely noticeable

Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First of all, I really doubt it is the lifters. Secondly, the dealership is not likely to spend 8-10 hours breaking down the engine, pulling the heads and replacing $65 lifters. Ticking that I have seen with my own eyes were blown exhaust gaskets and loose rocker arm shaft bolts that allowed play in the push rod assembly.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats all this talk about the Hemi Tick? The guy's got a 4.7. No head removal to replace lifters (actually called lash adjusters) No push rods either.
The best scenairo for you like mentioned above is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. If the exhaust manifold(s) is not the problem. Then the source of the noise is internal. Your problem could be lifters (actually called lash adjusters) or timing chain tensioner or pistons). There are numerous people that have complained about cold engine knock on the 4.7! I have tried different oil filters, different kinds of synthetic and dino oils and EOS oil additive. None worked at all to quiet the noise. My advice to you is save your money on oil additives and even trying to repair the problem. Just make sure to warm up engine till tick dissappears, a minute or two more to be safe before driving away.
Just an FYI for ya. I had all lash adjusters, right bank rockers, timing chain and tensioner replaced under warranty. I did the manifold gaskets myself with my shorty headers. And still have the cold engine tick. 45 to 60 seconds and gone. All that warranty work and no difference in noise level or duration of time.Truck runs very strong. My gear shop guy did a couple of cold starts on his hoist. He tell's me it's defiantly in the bottom end. So the pistons are the obvious culprit. This was the end result will my 4.7 engine. I have no idea if this would be the same in your case?

Last edited by big guy; 01-31-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifter Ticks in Cold Weather?