3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brought home a boat, HEMI pulls great too.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 03:48 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought home a boat, HEMI pulls great too.

Well, I just brought home a boat today. I am looking at buying it. Its a 19 foot bayliner open bow. It has, I know, I know, a Chevy 5.0 liter V8 in it. It was pretty fast on the lake. I seems like it is a special marine motor, it said 4v on the motor and I a assuming 4 valves per cylinder. Anyway, getting to the root of my post, the HEMI pulled it awesome, tons of power. I used the tow/haul button just because everyone here has said to use it when towing. Man, it was like it wasnt even there. Thank god I bought the 4x4, now that it looks like I will be on the launch ramps now. I have seen too many 2wd trucks get stuck trying to pull the boat out. The limited slip worked well, never needed 4x4 but I have been on some ramps where it was a must have. Water levels are very high in Cali lakes right now from all the rain we got this year. Well, just thought that I would let ya all know, the truck towed very well for its firts time. This has been an extremely versatile vehicle. I have in the last month since I bought it: towed a boat with 4 adults in the cab, hauled a yard of sand twice, taken 6 people including myself to lunch, been off road in 4x4, cruised freeways nicely, commute to work, hauled stuff to and from a garage sale with the bed full of stuff with 4 adults and a baby inside. Is there really a more versatile vehicle????? It does it all except get good mileage. A small price to pay for such an awsome truck.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:01 AM
mill500
Veteran
Default RE: Brought home a boat, HEMI pulls great too.

Good to hear. I have a Chevy buddy who likes to bust my ***** claiming he was with another Hemi guy trying to pull a couple of snowmobiles and wouldn't keep up ( I attribute it to more Chevy BS). I have 2 WaveRunners I pull and occasionally trailer my kid's car to the strip and haven't had any issues. Strong motor and trans so far.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:09 AM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've towed my 22ft boat numerous times, including a trip from here in Fort Lauderdale, down to Marathon, which is in the Florida Keys for those that aren't familiar with it. It's about a 3-4 hour trip. As you said, you don't even know the boat is back there. And on the highway, I get mileage that is just as good as, if not better, than my normal city driving mpg.
As for launch ramps, I have the 2wd, and haven't had a single problem. The people you mention about having problems are probably just not expereienced. I know tons of people that also only have a 2wd, and they don't have a single problem with launching, because they are experienced. Sure, you never know what's going to happen, and you just might hit a slick spot on the ramp, but for the most part, 2wd is fine for trailering and launching.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:34 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mill500

Good to hear. I have a Chevy buddy who likes to bust my ***** claiming he was with another Hemi guy trying to pull a couple of snowmobiles and wouldn't keep up ( I attribute it to more Chevy BS).
Hahaha! Well said.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Randy_W
Professional

4v means it has a 4 bbl carb, it has 2 valve heads and the only real difference in modern marine engines are the safety features to prevent fire and explosions. What horsepower is your's? You will find the vast majority of marine engines are and have been Chevies for many years now. The main reasons are power and dependability. In the eighties you could still buy Ford and Chrysler marine engines from a number of companies, now there are virtually none other than Chevy or custom builds. Some ski boat builders with a long history of Ford association still offer them as options on dedicated ski boats. I don't think Chrysler even offers marine engines. I have over 1000 hours on the 540 c.i. big block Chevies in my Donzi. It will still turn them 5500 rpm all day and never complain. A boat motor's environment has been described as "like pulling a bulldozer, up hill with your foot to the floor for hours at a time". It takes good product to do that! The market, as it usually does has sorted out what the best product for the job is. That's right! Those Chevies you hate so much, have proven themselves best for the job!

By the way, my boat and trailer weigh 5600 lbs, (the trailer is aluminum), I pulled it for years with an '88 4.3 liter V6 2dr S-10 Blazer with no problems at all. It would maintain 55-60 up bridges and hills.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:13 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

i tow'd one of those small bobcat's you know the little ones with the tracks.

man it was like nothing. it really doesnt feel like its there

then there was the time that i had to haul my friends. 5.0 stang to his friends shop.. my friend was inside with me, and he was like woah.. it feels like NOTHING !? lol ... he kept checkin back to see if ti was still hooked on to my truck lol

Old 06-19-2005, 07:45 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

well, I bought the boat today. I think that the horsepower is probably around 235, from what I have seen, I know it went faster than I need it to last night on the lake. I live 2 miniutes from the boat launch of an awsome lake. I have never been a chevy guy but at least it only is the motor, usually the strongest part of a chevy truck. My beef with chevy trucks is mostly all other areas like the tranny, interior brakes, etc.... The motor is the one are that the work trucks I drove never had a problem in. Hopefully it wont have any problems. When your looking at cheep used boats you dont have much options for things like brand of motor. I do see alot of chevy motors in boats

4v means it has a 4 bbl carb, it has 2 valve heads
why dot the put 4v for 4 barrel? that seems kinda silly, why not 4 brl or something?

The hemi had plent of go-go juice today, the wife htes it when I stomp on the throttle just watch the hemi pull hard and hear the motor. I guess that its a guy thing, thats why I have a hemi and she has a minivan.

As for launch ramps, I have the 2wd, and haven't had a single problem
yeah, I know alot of people that have 2wd for launching a boat and I agree that there alot of idiots out there. we were at on lake that my buddy was pulling his 17ft sailboat out of the water with his forerunner, he had to use 4x4 to get out, too much sand and muddy area. We tried for 15 miniutes top get out in 2wd befoer going to 4x4. Its always more fun to go as long as possible without going into 4x4. I do agree with you that experience means alot. For me I am rookie with a boat, so 4x4 is like insurance. I use the 4x4 for other stuff as well, we go to the snow alot in the winter and its a must have unless you want to put on chains and on top of all that sometimes I need 4x4 just out on my property in the winter time. My dad kept trying to tell me I only needed 2wd. I guess some of it is the young arragance of youth.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Avanti
Captain

Hemi_off_road:

Any idea what your boat and trailer weigh?

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Randy_W
Professional

why dot the put 4v for 4 barrel? that seems kinda silly, why not 4 brl or something?

The 4V, stands for 4 venturi. Same thing, basically.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 AM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

The 4V, stands for 4 venturi. Same thing, basically.
Thans Randy, you must be some sorta boat guy to know that off the top of your head. I have never heard that in the auto industry. I know what a venturi is but never seen it advertised like that.

Any idea what your boat and trailer weigh?
I dont know yet, but not too much maybe 3500-4500 lbs at most with all the gear and crap in it. I may be really off. I have nver owned a boat before so I am not too sure. It cant be too light since it is 19 feet long and has a 5.0Liter V8 in it, Inboard/outboard. All I know is that the boat can handle 7 people and hold 1200 lbs. I know that it isnt too heavy since it is only a single axle trailer. I have posted pics for yall to see. I am really excited. I have always wanted a boat and it looks awsome behind the truck. Sorry for the bad pics. I already had it parked when I thought of taking pictures. Heck, the truck still has dealer plates on it.

Quick Reply: Brought home a boat, HEMI pulls great too.