3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flowmaster catback or muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 PM
squashman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flowmaster catback or muffler?

should I install the flowmaster 50HD catback system or just get the flowmaster 50HD muffler, have some pipes bent and dumped behind the axle by the bumper at a muffler shop? Is it worth the extra $100 to buy and install the catback?

I can only find a SI/SO flowmaster 50 series muffler on the flowmaster website for my truck. Is there a legit SI/DO 50HD muffler?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You may want to opt for a different muffler. I had the 50HD and it droned in the cab pretty bad from about 1800 - 2600 rpm and the top rusted out after about 3 years.

IMO there are better mufflers out there for a Hemi...

Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
squashman

what do you recommend? I was thinking about magnaflow because they are stainless steel and have a lifetime warranty. Have only heard mainly good things from them. But its about 200 more for the catback system than the flowmaster. I live in texas and didnt think that the rusting and rotting would be a prob. No snow and not much rain.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
gordie580
Professional

I have a Gibson Dual Extreme and it has a nice rumble to it... not to loud, but nice noise at about 1700-2200, you cna still have a nice convo in the cab... when it gets up into the 4000-5000 it gets realy loud, along with the hemi... nice sounding

Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by squashman
what do you recommend? I was thinking about magnaflow because they are stainless steel and have a lifetime warranty. Have only heard mainly good things from them. But its about 200 more for the catback system than the flowmaster. I live in texas and didnt think that the rusting and rotting would be a prob. No snow and not much rain.

I know I just couldn't stand the drone anymore, it really grates on you if you are traveling any distance, on the highway where the damn rpms are right there where it drones the most. I KNOW guys with MDS Hemi's say the drone is worse than my non-MDS Hemi. I can't imagine it being any worse.

My truck has spent it's entire life in south Georgia and central Florida, so no salt either. It didn't look too bad when I went to remove it, just surface rust on the bottom and sides, but when I got it off, the top was like swiss cheese. I'm guessing condensation sits on the top of the inside and eats it away.

I have a Cherry Bomb Extreme now, it's a good bit louder when you get on it than the FM50HD, but doesn't drone. Surprisingly, it's also a good bit mellower at idle. It's not stainless though, so time will tell how long it lasts.

Stainless might cost more, but you'll probably never have to replace it as long as you own your truck. Something to consider...

Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 PM
squashman

Thanks for the info. So do you have a catback system of just the muffler?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When I had my catback it was with a Flowmaster delta 40 which has little drone. However, I do like my Magnaflow mufflers much better

Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 AM
cbauer15
Rookie

I have flowmaster super 40 dual and I love them! It drones a little bit a around 1500 but once you get the muffler broke in you don't really notice it much. Have no rust and I'm in new mexico. If you really worried about drone you can get an mds delete to turn it off. I would highly recommend flowmasters muffler. ( oh yah mines stainless steel)

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
DodgeGrl6804

alright- boys here's an opinion question-
I had a dual flowmaster40 on my truck when i bought it, eventually the entire exhaust system was rotted out and i had to replace the entire thing, including manifold gaskets-
i couldnt decide what to replace it with, so the shop just put in brand new stock from the headers back. unfortunetly now iam back to square one. I have a pretty intense cold intake which sounds real good, but i want my louder truck back. suggestions? i dont necessarily want to replace the entire system- since i had to pay for the brand new stock anyway. JUST want to put a louder muffler on it. I'll replace the pipes and everything else as it needs it...
Magnaflow/Flowmaster/Gibson/Cherry Bomb????

Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

You want loud? Then the two best choices IMO are either going to a cut-out or having a Cherry Bomb installed. I have the Cherry Bomb Extreme and my neighbors go to bed at night praying I decide to leave the truck home and drive my Grand Cherokee in the morning...

Quick Reply: flowmaster catback or muffler?