3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
vinnierap
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hooks

So last night I helped someone out who was stuck in a pile of snow. As i got on the ground and looked under the truck to attach my tow stap to the "Tow Hooks" I was shocked to find that I didnt have any on the front of my truck.

I have an 04 4.7L with tow package. Now should my truck have come with them from factory?

I bought the truck used a few months ago and never really looked. Could the guy before have just taken them off for some reason?

The truck never had a bush bar installed.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Robby Hill

Is your truck a 4x4? I assume no but.... Anyway, the tow package does not include tow hooks. The tow package is for towing a trailer, not pulling someone out with tow hooks

Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
freestyledude
Captain

It dumbfounds me how in Canada it is not mandatory to have front and rear tow hooks on all vehicles. Easiest way would be to hit up the dealer and buy factory front tow hooks, they should work with your current bumper.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Tow package has nothing to do with front tow hooks. It includes rear hitch, pigtail, 7 pin wiring & aux. tranny cooler.

Tow hooks are a separate item.

I agree though, I think every vehicle should have a safe, frame mounted point or points in both the front and rear...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Blacksport
Captain

Originally Posted by freestyledude
It dumbfounds me how in Canada it is not mandatory to have front and rear tow hooks on all vehicles. Easiest way would be to hit up the dealer and buy factory front tow hooks, they should work with your current bumper.
Why do you say Canada? There are parts of Canada that barely get snow.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Well I suppose that is true. However, most of Canada does get snow, and it wouldn't be a big deal to have tow hooks on vehicles. They could still slide off the road, die and need to be moved, etc. You'd think even tow-truck drivers would like that idea, it must be tough to pull newer cars out of the ditch without breaking something. I fixed up a 99 Sunfire and there was almost nothing on there to tow off of just to pull it off a trailer

Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Besides, on an 04 the tow hooks are not under the truck. They are on the front bumper. No truck has OEM hooks on the rear.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
vinnierap
Rookie

The truck is 4x4 and i wasnt sure if it mattered about the tow package I just figured id give as much info as posible.

Ya Im very shocked that I didnt have any tow hooks. Annoying that I have to put a set on myself now.

Any ideas of the best location and easiest way to install them? If you pictures to that would be awesome.

I saw on another thread "Homemade Tow Hooks... DONE. (with pics)" installed by CHEAPBEATER He welded a whole bracket together and cut trough the bumper. For me that is a little labour intensive and I dont know how to weld...lol..

I am looking for a bolt on location...

Thanks for the help

Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There are mounting holes in the frame, inside the bumper brackets for Mopar tow hooks. All you have to do is pop out or cut the black plastic piece for the grill.

The mopar ones are a little pricey (about $150 I wanna say) but any others ones would need some fabrication.

Name:  101_0106.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  141.9 KB

If you look at the silver bolts outside of my grill guard/winch mount, those are the locations of the frame mounted tow hook holes...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No 1500's came with front tow hooks. Dunno why. The dealer will sell them as aftermarket. I bought mine for $125. Easy to install, just drop the front bumper as one unit and bolt on the tow hooks, only issue was to cut holes in the black plastic thingy.

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks